April 18, 2024, 02:43:42 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Slowly dissolving & Non Toxic??  (Read 5766 times)

Offline tsilkman

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Slowly dissolving & Non Toxic??
« on: June 08, 2010, 09:07:44 PM »
I am searching for the right chemical or substances that could work on a skin patch. A layer to go between the skin and the
medication that dissolves slowly in order to time the release of the medication onto the skin. Something non-toxic as well!

I know they have time release gel capsules, an ideas on a substance for outside the body???

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
Re: Slowly dissolving & Non Toxic??
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 11:09:49 PM »
i think there are liquid band aids available

Offline tsilkman

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 11:19:46 PM »
Yes but the substance I am searching for must dissolve or be absorbed at a slow rate. The goal is between 6 and 8 hours.  For example- A nicotine patch that wouldn't release the nicotine until 6-8 hours after being applied.
Some substance would have to be between the nicotine and the skin that would take several hours do dissolve.
 Possibly a sort of cellulose gel or wax. I am not familiar with these substances and am hoping someone out there has suggestions and possible sources of information.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 11:32:21 PM »
they have sutures that dissolve

Offline tsilkman

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 12:24:59 AM »
Yes but sutures dissolve over many days. And often the portions that are outside the body do not dissolve entirely because of a lack of moisture.  I need something that dissolves in a matter 6-9 hours.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 02:54:21 AM »
My guess is that the same technology that is used in nicotine or contraceptive patch could work here, you just have to tune it for your needs. Look for information about how these systems work and how speed of the medicine release can be modified. You may try to start searching patents.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Biopolmonkey

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 06:02:11 AM »
You might benefit from searching the literature for hydrogels and (semi-)IPNs. Some people are investigating controlled drug release from them (I have only read about responsive polymer systems, but I have not been looking for/at degradation).

Sponsored Links