March 28, 2024, 11:39:05 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Can elements that are adjacent in the same period form bonds?  (Read 3439 times)

Offline bodintr

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I'm doing some preliminary investigations for a possible industrial application and need to find out if elements adjacent to each other in the same period on the periodic table will form bonds if in a high temperature and pressure, gaseous or liquid state.  My hope is the answer will be no for all or a majority of elements.  An example would be: Can Calcium bond with Potassium or Scandium?

Thank you for your time and thoughts.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Can elements that are adjacent in the same period form bonds?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 12:40:19 AM »
Calcium with potassium forms alloy
AWK

Offline bodintr

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 12:55:37 AM »
That is true, they can form an alloy, which to my understanding is a solution or mixture of the two elements which can be separated by mechanical means but they do not actually bond chemically.  Am I correct in this understanding and can you say if this is true for all elements that are adjacent in the same period?

Offline nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 01:04:31 AM »
Carbon and nitrogen (amides, amines, etc.)  Fluorine and oxygen (FOOF).  Sulfur and chlorine (thionyl chloride)

Offline bodintr

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 01:22:03 AM »
Thank you.  I looked at the molecular models of these compounds and did see the direct bonds between the elements.  Can you tell me if there is a temperature range at which these or any other elements become too energetic to form chemical bonds?  example would be 20K °C or greater?

Again thank you for your time.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 06:09:13 AM »
If I may suggest something - start with some reading, any general chemistry text will do. Questions you ask suggest you know almost nothing and you stab in the dark, you won't get far with this approach.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline hobobot

• Mole Snacks: +4/-0
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 01:53:43 PM »
As far as the temperatures go, 20K C would destroy most chemical bonds I can think of.  If you need something that survives 20K C, you're better off looking at high-temperature ceramics. Like the kind they use on the space shuttle.

Sponsored Links