April 26, 2024, 08:18:05 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: A few simple (I hope) problems  (Read 6494 times)

Offline Lukasz.Bartosik

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
A few simple (I hope) problems
« on: June 09, 2010, 01:35:24 PM »
Hi everyone
I've got a few problems that need rather urgent solving I would appreciate if anyone could post anwsers to one or more of the following problems:

Ex.1 A ball falls on the flour from the height h. After each bounce the velocity is decreased by a factor
a<1. How long the ball bounces before it stops completely? Earth acceleration is denoted by g.

Ex.2 Consider a system in equilibrium with a thermostat at temperature T. The energy of the system
can assume two values, -E or E. The degeneracy of the states with the energies -E and E is N-fold and
2N-fold respectively.
Calculate the average energy (a) for T=0K (b) for T∞

Ex.3 Consider a crystalline lattice consisting of N sites. N1=N1−x sites are occupied randomly by
noninteracting atoms, where 0<x<<1. Calculate the entropy of the system for N∞ .
(Stirling formula: for N∞ ln N !≈N ln N−N )

Thanks a lot in advance :)

Offline Trave11er

• Mole Snacks: +4/-0
Re: A few simple (I hope) problems
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 05:15:12 PM »
Hello Lukasz.

Ex.1 It seems the ball will bounce forever, because velocity never reaches zero. After n bounes its velocity will be v*a^n, but whatever is n, the ball will never stop COMPLETELY

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 06:31:22 PM »
I would appreciate if anyone could post anwsers to one or more of the following problems

Please read forum rules.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 06:32:35 PM »
It seems the ball will bounce forever, because velocity never reaches zero. After n bounes its velocity will be v*a^n, but whatever is n, the ball will never stop COMPLETELY

No. Number of bounces will be infinite, but they will happen in a finite time.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Trave11er

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 03:26:05 AM »
Borek,
Can you explain why do you think so, because to me it seems that atoms will bounce forever. Surely, the height grows smaller and smaller until it becomes infinitely small, but as the speed is never zero, the height will never reach zero either, thus bouncing will never end.

Offline Lukasz.Bartosik

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 04:56:41 AM »
I would appreciate if anyone could post anwsers to one or more of the following problems

Please read forum rules.

Sorry for breaking the rule about the topic's name, as for the other rules this is NOT homework of any kind. Also I have attempted to solve the problems and my conclusions ( as far as I remember) are: the ball will jump infinitely long, ex2. Only the lowest energy states will be occupied at 0K and all of the states will be equally occupied in T->infinity ( i don't know where to go from there though)
ex.3 I have no idea where to start.

Once again I'm sorry for breaking the rules but I'm in a bit of chaos now.

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 06:18:52 AM »
Calculate time of nth bounce tn, assuming first bounce time was some t0, then sum times of bounces from n=0 to infinity.

Offline Trave11er

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 12:58:25 PM »
This is a solution to the first problem

Offline Trave11er

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 12:59:54 PM »
oops...I meant the speed of ball after the first bounce not the second at the end of the page

Sponsored Links