April 20, 2024, 06:12:06 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What's the real definition of Atomic Number?  (Read 7302 times)

Offline Eclipsonix

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
  • Aspire to inspire before you expire
What's the real definition of Atomic Number?
« on: June 13, 2010, 12:26:44 AM »
I'm here learning chemistry based off of the internet since I can't afford college yet, and left school at 7th grade lol (not really funny) and I'm currently at this phase http://www.chem4kids.com/files/atom_ions.html
Super basic yeah lol

I will not proceed in anything unless I am completely understanding it.  So it states
A normal atom is called a neutral atom. That term describes an atom with a number of electrons equal to the atomic number

The problem I'm having is every freaking definition I find for atomic number is different.. It's lame lol

"the atomic number of an element tells you the number of electrons or neutrons found in a neutral atom of that element"

"The number of nucleons (protons and neutrons) in the nucleus of an atom."

"the atomic number (also known as the proton number) is the number of protons  found in the nucleus of an atom and therefore identical to the charge number of the nucleus."

That's just 3 definitions that I've found. It would be GREAT if I knew which was true lol thanks :)

"
science rules!

Offline Eclipsonix

Re: What's the real definition of Atomic Number?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 12:33:31 AM »
WOW and I get it now... I'm so sorry lol

A normal atom is called a neutral atom. (electrons equal to its atomic number)

atomic number: The number of nucleons (protons and neutrons) in the nucleus of an atom.

Therefor an example of a neutral atom would be one with equal # of electrons as protons and neutrons together?

say protons + neutrons = number of electrons? and that would be a neutral atom. lol correct me if i have it misunderstood please :]

science rules!

Offline Jorriss

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +41/-14
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 03:21:26 AM »
Whoa, those are some messed up definitions.

Atomic Number = # of protons in the nucleus.

That's all there is to it.

In a neutral atom the # of protons = # of electrons.

And the # of neutrons varies. They're called isotopes.

I'd recommend going to a library and checking out an introductory or general chemistry textbook, or finding a website associated with a textbook.

Offline opti384

• Mole Snacks: +33/-25
    • In the Search for the Laws of Nature
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 03:25:21 AM »
As you said, a normal atom is a neutral atom which has no net electrical charges.

This is because the number of the electrons and the protons are same. The definition of the atomic number is the number of protons in an atom.

Therefore in an neutral atom, the number of electrons = the number of protons = the atomic number.

Now, in a normal atom, the number of neutrons is not necessarily the same with the number of protons.

There are isotopes which are atoms that have the same atomic number(the same number of protons) but different number of

neutrons.

Offline Eclipsonix

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 04:17:41 AM »
Holy crap lol I had it wrong when I really thought I finally learned it.. wow thanks for the correction!
science rules!

Offline Eclipsonix

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 04:21:46 AM »
Thank both of you for the basic chem lesson. I understand now with the way you two laid it out lol why couldn't the website just have it lyk that..

I'd recommend going to a library and checking out an introductory or general chemistry textbook, or finding a website associated with a textbook.

Would you know any? It would be greatly appreciated :)
science rules!

Offline Eclipsonix

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 05:17:35 AM »
Ahhh... why is the answer C then?    Well, mostly I'm just curious if this source is correct. So long as it is, I understand it now. I just want to make sure since it's like everyone has their own dang definition on it

QUESTION 7:
The atomic number of an element tells you the number of _____ in a neutral atom.

Choice A)Positrons
Choice B)Neutrons
Choice C)Electrons
Choice D)None of the Above

The atomic number of an element tells you the number of electrons and protons in a neutral atom. Ions are forms of an element with different numbers of electrons. Isotopes are forms of an element with different numbers of neutrons.
science rules!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 05:27:26 AM »
Ahhh... why is the answer C then?

Have you read what opti wrote?

This is because the number of the electrons and the protons are same. The definition of the atomic number is the number of protons in an atom.

Electron and proton charges are identical, but with a different sign.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline cliverlong

• Mole Snacks: +60/-14
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 09:57:36 AM »
I like the following as an introductory chemistry text

http://preparatorychemistry.com/Bishop_Atoms_First.htm

It is online and it is free !

Clive

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline LPH

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 01:56:02 AM »
The atomic number of an element tells you the number of electrons and protons in a neutral atom. Ions are forms of an element with different numbers of electrons. Isotopes are forms of an element with different numbers of neutrons.

The "and" may easily be misinterpreted. An atomic number (the Z number) was introduced into chemistry by Rutherford, Moseley, and Chadwick. Their work helped explain the repeating patterns seen with the elements, and helped along the organization of the most commonly discussed modern periodic table (organized by atomic number). An atomic number is a whole number representing the number of protons.

To make matters a little more interesting, in a neutral atom, an atom without charge, the number of protons equals the number of electrons. Therefore, while the Z is the number of protons, this number equals the number of electrons in a neutral atom. For example, hydrogen has 1 proton and 1 electron. It has a Z number of 1.

Note: "Experimentally the 'atomic number' of an element was established by Chadwick in 1920 from beta particle scattering experiments (an atoms electrons deflecting the bombarding beta particle electrons) and from the X-ray spectra results of Moseley in 1913. " -- http://docbrown.info/page07/ASA2ptable1.htm

Sponsored Links