April 27, 2024, 09:14:35 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: decomposition of H2O2  (Read 11247 times)

Offline jenri619june

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
decomposition of H2O2
« on: June 15, 2010, 11:20:41 AM »
Hi,first of all thank you for taking time to read this. I am a student currently working on a project, that requires me to solve a few equations, i am currently v confused with what i have now and wonder if you could spare me some of your time to enlighten me.

I am working with the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide.
2H2O2 --> 2H2O + O2

i need the amount of O2 produced to be at least 8litres per min over a period of time, thus i am trying to find out the concentration of hydrogen peroxide to use. I will need to be able to draw a graph that shows the amount of O2 produced per min at the end of the day.

I actually have two eq.

1.The Arrhenius equation of decomposition of hydrogen peroxide:
k=Ae^-(Ea/(RT)),
Ea to be 75kJ/mol
R=8.314Jmol^-1K^-1
T= 298K
A= 10^11 s^-1

So what i got after i sub the value in is k to be 0.0071322 units??
2.Assumed kinetic equation: (suggested)

dO2 over dt = 1/2[H2O2]k     ,k from the above equation
How will I be able to get a graph that shows the amount of O2 produced per min at the end of the day?

I tried the equation : (got from internet (first order))

-d[H2O2] over dt =[H2O2]k

d[H2O2] over [H2O2] = -kdt
and after integration : ln[H2O2]= -kt+c
then i am stucked...again.

I am very confused, please help me.

Thanks.

Offline tamim83

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-7
  • Quantum Kitten
Re: decomposition of H2O2
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 12:22:27 PM »
So what i got after i sub the value in is k to be 0.0071322 units??

Units for k (first order) = s-1

i am trying to find out the concentration of hydrogen peroxide to use

You should be able to use the rate law, since you know k and the rate. 

rate = k[H202]

I don't think you need to integrate for an initial concentration.  Just plug in your rate and k and rearrange to solve for the concentration (in litres). 

Hope that helps some. 

Offline Abstractineum

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 12:33:34 PM »
If you want to know the amount of O2 produced, you should multiply the change in concentration with the volume of the system (n = c * V). The change of the amount of O2 produced thus equals (dO2/dt) * V.

Now you need a way to describe dO2/dt in terms of the rate equation. For an elementary reaction, I think that would be dO2/dt = [H2O2]2k1.
 (I have disregarded the possibility of the reaction going backwards, so I have emitted the k-1 konstant)

You have already calculated k, so now you can substitute that in the rate equation. The change in the concentration of oxygen would then depend on H2O2. Now you can plot (dO2/dt) * V against H2O2. I think.

Please correct me if I am wrong someone :)

EDIT: What tanim83 said :) Be aware that the rate changes with the concentration of Hydrogen Peroxide, so if you want the amount of oxygen produced to be at least 8L/min over a period of time, the longer the time the higher concentration of [H2O2]0 you need.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 04:41:25 PM »
8 liters per minute!? Making rockets or something else?
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline jenri619june

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 11:45:13 PM »
If you want to know the amount of O2 produced, you should multiply the change in concentration with the volume of the system (n = c * V). The change of the amount of O2 produced thus equals (dO2/dt) * V.

Now you need a way to describe dO2/dt in terms of the rate equation. For an elementary reaction, I think that would be dO2/dt = [H2O2]2k1.
 (I have disregarded the possibility of the reaction going backwards, so I have emitted the k-1 konstant)

You have already calculated k, so now you can substitute that in the rate equation. The change in the concentration of oxygen would then depend on H2O2. Now you can plot (dO2/dt) * V against H2O2. I think.
Please correct me if I am wrong someone :)

EDIT: What tanim83 said :) Be aware that the rate changes with the concentration of Hydrogen Peroxide, so if you want the amount of oxygen produced to be at least 8L/min over a period of time, the longer the time the higher concentration of [H2O2]0 you need.

if equation is dO2/dt = [H2O2]2k1.

how do u get to plot  (dO2/dt) * V against H2O2. ???

Offline Abstractineum

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 07:19:40 AM »
What I meant (without specifying the relationship) was that you could make a plot containing the values of  (dO2/dt) * V and [H2O2]. You are right that the x-axis would be measured in [H2O2]2.

Offline jenri619june

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 10:34:06 AM »
What I meant (without specifying the relationship) was that you could make a plot containing the values of  (dO2/dt) * V and [H2O2]. You are right that the x-axis would be measured in [H2O2]2.

i am sorry i dont quite get it...can u please rephrase? i really need your help

Offline Abstractineum

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 01:25:12 PM »
The relationship between d(nO2)/dt (the amount of oxygen produced per time unit, which is the same as V * d[O2]/dt) and [H2O2] can be described by:
d(nO2)/dt = V * [H2O2]2k

So you can plot d(nO2)/dt against (V * [H2O2]2k). With a konstant value of k and V, the variable is [H2O2]2. Hope that clarified it a bit :)

EDIT: I realized that I lacked a V on one side of the equation earlier. It should be on both sides, and the reason for multiplying at all is that it is V * d[O2]/dt you are interested in. (Why can't I modify my earlier posts?  :'()
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 01:41:55 PM by Abstractineum »

Offline jenri619june

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 01:05:22 AM »
The relationship between d(nO2)/dt (the amount of oxygen produced per time unit, which is the same as V * d[O2]/dt) and [H2O2] can be described by:
d(nO2)/dt = V * [H2O2]2k

So you can plot d(nO2)/dt against (V * [H2O2]2k). With a konstant value of k and V, the variable is [H2O2]2. Hope that clarified it a bit :)

EDIT: I realized that I lacked a V on one side of the equation earlier. It should be on both sides, and the reason for multiplying at all is that it is V * d[O2]/dt you are interested in. (Why can't I modify my earlier posts?  :'()

eh sorry...i have never worked with this before. may i know whats the unit for d(nO2) over dt? ? ??? mol/s???

and the v[H2O2]k ???
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 01:59:59 AM by jenri619june »

Offline Abstractineum

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 02:14:24 PM »
Yeah, the units for d(nO2)/dt are mol s-1. The units for the parts in V * [H2O2]2k are the following (SI units are written parenthetical):

V is measured in dm3 (m3)
[H2O2]2 is measured in mol2 dm-6 (mol2 m-6)
k are for a second order reaction measured in dm3 mol-1 s-1 (m3 mol-1 s-1)

Put together the units become the same as for d(nO2)/dt, which is mol s-1.

Offline jenri619june

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 11:13:01 PM »
Yeah, the units for d(nO2)/dt are mol s-1. The units for the parts in V * [H2O2]2k are the following (SI units are written parenthetical):

V is measured in dm3 (m3)
[H2O2]2 is measured in mol2 dm-6 (mol2 m-6)
k are for a second order reaction measured in dm3 mol-1 s-1 (m3 mol-1 s-1)

Put together the units become the same as for d(nO2)/dt, which is mol s-1.

Thanks erm...i dont mean to bug you but could you explain what's zero, first and second order? before i post this qn, i actually found many differnent websites saying decompositon of hydrogen peroxide is a first order reaction. while others mention 2nd.

Offline Abstractineum

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 07:01:07 AM »
I'll try to answer your question without being to lengthy:

The overall reaction order for an elementary(!) reaction is equal to the sum of the coefficients of the reactants. Some examples:

2 H  :rarrow: H2 has a reaction order of 2
H + Cl  :rarrow: HCl has a reaction order of 2 (1 + 1)
aA + bB  :rarrow: AaBb has a reaction order of (a +b)

You can also talk about the reaction order of a specific reactant in a reaction. This is equal to the coefficient of that particular reactant.

H + Cl  :rarrow: HCl has a reaction order of one with respect to H

An elementary reaction is a simple reaction, where the whole reaction takes place in one step. Generally, the overall reaction order of an elementary reaction is no higher than two. But how do you know that a reaction is an elementary one? Well, you often can't say by simply looking at the reaction formula.
  Most reactions are complex, and complex reaction can be divided into elementary steps. Complex reactions does not have to have to reaction orders implied by the stoichiometry. I simply assumed that the reaction of Hydrogen Peroxide was elementary, which may be completely wrong. Reactions can be described by reaction paths, which is the way the reaction is assumed to happen (for H2O2, it could be that one molecule dissociate to water and an oxygen atom, and that two oxygen atoms then form an oxygen molecule, or it could be that two H2O2 molecules collide, and form the products.) When you have an assumed reaction path, you can work out what order of reaction of the reactants that path would lead to. You can then compare to measured results (you can for example plot the rate of the reaction to the concentration of the reactant) to those that you predicted, and see if they fits.
  You can do this because for a reaction, complex ones too, the reaction order of a reactant corresponds to the relationship between the concentration of that reactant and the rate of reaction.

So to sum it up: A zero order reaction with respect to a reactant is one where the concentration of the reactant doesn't matter, a first order is where the concentration is proportional to the rate of reaction and a second order is one where the relationship between rate of reaction and concentration is rate=constant * concentration2.
  If you want a more substantial knowledge of reaction orders etc you should find a general chemistry textbook at a library or search the net. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaction_rate for example :)

Offline jenri619june

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 12:21:43 AM »
Oh I see..Thank you for clearing my doubts. =)

Sponsored Links