April 25, 2024, 12:42:07 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: NMR hydrogen equivalence  (Read 3505 times)

Offline moderate

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
NMR hydrogen equivalence
« on: June 27, 2010, 04:03:45 PM »
Hello,

I just have a quick question about identifying hydrogens in different magnetic environments.

Consider ethyl propenoate as a starting point.

The following groups of hydrogens produce distinct peaks, correct?
7a
6a
2b and 2a
3c, 3b, and 3a

A total of 5 peaks.

The 2b and 2a hydrogens are enantiotopic. In other words, replacing 2b with a different group and then replacing 2a with the same group would produce enantiomers. And, enantiomers produce one peak in an achiral solution (although I don't really understand why).

Now, let's replace either the 8 or 7a hydrogen with a halogen.

Do the 2b and 2a hydrogens now split into two peaks? They are no longer enantiotopic, but diastereotopic, correct?

Offline Agathiyar

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: NMR hydrogen equivalence
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 09:40:50 PM »
Your first part of the discussion is fine but your second part is confusing, replacing hydrogen at 8 by bromine doesn't affect the 2a or 2b protons, they are still enantiotopic.  You don't have another chiral center to discuss about diastereotopic situation.

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: NMR hydrogen equivalence
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 06:38:47 AM »
Hello,

I just have a quick question about identifying hydrogens in different magnetic environments.

Consider ethyl propenoate as a starting point.

The following groups of hydrogens produce distinct peaks, correct?
7a
6a
2b and 2a
3c, 3b, and 3a

A total of 5 peaks.

The 2b and 2a hydrogens are enantiotopic. In other words, replacing 2b with a different group and then replacing 2a with the same group would produce enantiomers. And, enantiomers produce one peak in an achiral solution (although I don't really understand why).

Now, let's replace either the 8 or 7a hydrogen with a halogen.

Do the 2b and 2a hydrogens now split into two peaks? They are no longer enantiotopic, but diastereotopic, correct?

I would not expect the hydrogens 2a and 2b to be different due to free rotation about the single bond, you should see a 2 proton quartet, i.e. a normal ethyl group.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Sponsored Links