April 29, 2024, 04:46:41 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Plane of Symmetry in Methylcyclohexanes  (Read 14892 times)

Offline uvcyclotron

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: Plane of Symmetry in Methylcyclohexanes
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 05:32:30 AM »
If that's the case why does 1,3-dimethylcyclohexane (cis) have a plane of symmetry? Is it because the methyl groups are situated in such a way that non-planarity of the chair conformer doesn't cause a problem? You know, like if its distorted in the direction of one methyl group, it is distorted equally in the direction of the other.

Actually I am still intrigued by this thing..how can even the 1,3-dimethycyclohexane have a plane of symmetry, even if I assume both methyl groups in equatorial position (cis), then also the 3-D nature of the whole structure by itself inhibts the appearance of any kind of Plane of Symmetry..
 :(
Can anyone explain this, please?
Any physical theory is always provisional: you can never prove it. But you can always disprove a theory by finding even a single observation that disagrees with the predictions of the theory!

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: Plane of Symmetry in Methylcyclohexanes
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2010, 09:38:29 AM »
I was reading Solomons a while ago when I was faced with a peculiar situation. It was the chapter on stereoisomerism and optical activity, and the section on cyclic systems.
They have described 1,2-dimethylcyclopentane and 1,3-dimethylcyclohexane to have a plane of symmetry as follows -:

I guess I have a misconception about what a plane of symmetry actually is and how to draw it on such molecules. Could someone point it out to me?

Draw them in 3d and you will recognise the answer
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Sponsored Links