March 28, 2024, 07:54:29 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Barely escaped disfigurement tonight! - Compile your chem mishaps here  (Read 32413 times)

Offline vmelkon

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-10
Re: Barely escaped disfigurement tonight! - Compile your chem mishaps here
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2011, 05:38:22 PM »
Come to Canada. Our Mega-low-mart doesn't sell dry ice or compressed argon or uranium fuel rods but you can order them online.

Offline amintobello

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2011, 11:41:20 AM »
A Story About Young Age Curiosity To Everything Offers Flame
Once upon a time when i wasn't have enough knowledge about chemistry i have tried to make make black powder.
Results:
1.)I have inhaled boiling nitric acid solution while trying to make NaNO3  (with drain cleaner and %20 nitric acid including some cleaning liquid)
2.)I have inhaled SO2 while burning NaNO3 and S
Another accidents:
-Exploding a glass bowl with just cologne(loss of only a cheap tablecloth and a bowl with calmness i saved whole building ;D)
-Inhaling lot's of methane and causing a house smelling like turd for days
-Inhaling Ethyl Alcohol,and good violet Iodine (While trying to gain some iodine crystals i don't remember what was the purpose)
-A chemical burn as Tyler's one but thankfully only little scars ;D

At least i'm alive.Even i can not believe that i am still alive.I have asthma since i was 3 years old.And i have only little scars after these trial and error experiences ;D

Offline 408

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +103/-30
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2011, 09:56:33 AM »
I discovered a compound that spontaneously detonates when dry...

Oh, and I spilled molten bismuth on my arm when shaking it off a crystal I had just grown.

Offline Sophia7X

• Mole Snacks: +32/-4
  • I, a universe of atoms, an atom in the universe.
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2012, 10:09:56 PM »
Trying to make H2 gas in a balloon connected to a flask with aluminum and HCl.

mistake #1: using POWDERED aluminum.
mistake #2: dumping a random amount (too lazy to calculate theoretical volume of H2 produced).

Result: Balloon expanding extremely fast, HCl spurted into the balloon, then it exploded. Acid flew everywhere, including on my neck, face and, arms. No injuries since I immediately washed the acid off with cold water.

And that is what happens when you don't do stoichiometry, lol.
Entropy happens.

Offline Cuprum

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2012, 08:03:01 AM »
Spilled HCl on my brown chino pants, not while wearing them. They are still intact without visible corrosion or holes, fabric is intact. Sad part is that the parts of the pants the acid soaked is now permantly discoloured, with light red stains. What does HCl do to the brown pigment to make it red? Chemical reaction with lightabsorbing aromatic pigments that changes its structure and therefore absorbtion spectrum?

This might sound really minor, but i really liked those pants, they fit me like a glove.

Is there anyway to turn them brown again?

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2012, 08:47:37 AM »
Spilled HCl on my brown chino pants, not while wearing them. They are still intact without visible corrosion or holes, fabric is intact. Sad part is that the parts of the pants the acid soaked is now permantly discoloured, with light red stains. What does HCl do to the brown pigment to make it red? Chemical reaction with lightabsorbing aromatic pigments that changes its structure and therefore absorbtion spectrum?

This might sound really minor, but i really liked those pants, they fit me like a glove.

Have you washed them yet after the spill?

Offline Cuprum

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2012, 02:47:32 PM »

Have you washed them yet after the spill?

Yes, of course, i put them in the sink and filled up with water ASAP to minimalize any damage the acid would have on the cloth would it remain soaked in the pants. Then i washed it in the washing machine. The stains remain the same, and its clear that the dye in the pants itself is miscoloured.

I've been thinking of treating it with bicarbonate, or if all else fails, maybe see if there are any clothes dye availabe to buy with a similar color.

Offline curiouscat

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2012, 03:02:37 PM »
I asked because once I had a tiny H2SO4 spill on a coat that looked like only discoloration till I washed the coat. Post-wash, large gaping holes!  ;D

Sponsored Links