March 28, 2024, 10:03:03 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Iodine in Preparation of Grignard Reagent Phenylmagnesiumbromide  (Read 35450 times)

Offline Sis290025

• Mole Snacks: +13/-17
  • Thou shall not fall.
In the synthesis of phenylmagnesiumbromide from bromobenzene and magnesium metal, sometimes iodine is utilized. Exactly how does iodine act as an activator for this reaction (in reference to the magnesium metal)?

Considering that phenylmagnesiumbromide would be fabricated without the addition of iodine, does iodine change the rate of the reaction or yield significantly?

Thank you for your time.

Offline stevet

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Re: Iodine in Preparation of Grignard Reagent Phenylmagnesiumbromide
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 10:54:10 AM »
As far as i remember, the iodine removes any magnesium oxide which may cover the magnesium metal, which would prevent its reaction with the halide.

If you get the reaction going without the addition of the iodine, it is not required, as the reaction is quite vogourous as is, though if you are struggling to initiate your Grignard, add a small crystal of iodine, and the reaction should proceed.

Steve

Offline moov

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 10:40:10 PM »
Ya,you are absolutely correct stevet...i agree that,one more thing  Sis290025 why can't you try Dibromoetane(activator) instead of Iodine.
Moovendan

Offline neelam

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 01:44:19 AM »
hellow

instead of trying with iodine and dibromoethane you try with methyl magnesium chloride, which will remove magnesium oxide and activate the Mg. if you use dibromoethane, high temperature is required for initiation which leads to impurities. using MeMgCl even at low temp itself you will get initiation. iodine is also ok but fixing the specfic quantiy some what critical. only you have add pinch. whereas in case of MeMgCl you can fix a specific quantity to initiate Mg.

for reference please go through prof. Knochel papers.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 09:27:36 AM »
I don't understand how an MgO would be converted to Mgo with I2.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline uvcyclotron

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 11:42:13 AM »
I don't understand how an MgO would be converted to Mgo with I2.

I would support orgopete by saying that I don't understand this conversion either,and would love an explanation.

Also, I am not aware of the MeMgBr method as pointed out by neelam.
AFAIK the reaction is carried out with the Mg metal, in diethyl ether (D.E) or THF (TetraHydro Furan) as solvent, THF is preferred for aryl halides as it has a higher B.P. than D.E.
The ethers as solvent stabilize the the Grignard Reagent (G.R) formed, while also providing an inert reaction medium.

The metal can follow either/both an ionic and free radical mechanism for the G.R. formation

UV
Any physical theory is always provisional: you can never prove it. But you can always disprove a theory by finding even a single observation that disagrees with the predictions of the theory!

Offline neelam

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 02:11:04 PM »
for reference please go through prof. Knochel papers

Sponsored Links