Chemistry Forums for Students > Organic Chemistry Forum for Graduate Students and Professionals

worst chemical quote ever

(1/7) > >>

FlowSyn:
I recently inquired about purchasing an intermediate from a US chemical company on the East coast and this is a rundown of the exchanged emails:

--- Quote ---Me -

I am interested in purchasing intermediate X.  Can you please provide me with a quote?  Thank you for your time.
--- End quote ---

....one week later

--- Quote ---Mr. X,

Please use 1-PG imidazole and heck reaction to get intermediate.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Me -

Does this mean that your company cannot supply this intermediate?
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Mr. X,

You are a student, you can make yourself.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Me-

<not in the email> WTF????  ???  <in the email>  I'm a Ph.D. Chemist - not a student - and I can make the intermediate but I wish to purchase it.  Please answer my question: Can your company supply the intermediate that is posted on your website?
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---Mr. X,

Sorry we cannot supply the intermediate.
--- End quote ---

a student:
unfortunately the way they had spoken to you seems very familiar to me ;D

DrCMS:
How much of the intermediate were you going to buy?  A few g or a few kg. 

As an industrial chemist I can understand their reply.  It is likely they only make the material to order and will only do that if the order quantity is large enough to justify. 

I'd charge you $1000 per day (or part day) plus raw materials (at cost+10% mark up) for lab work up to 2L
or $2000 per day (or part day) plus raw materials (at cost+10% mark up) for pilot plant work at 20-200L.

Minimum 2 days of work. 

Are you in a position to spend that kind of money?

Borek:
I understand the economy, I don't understand why they have to make idiots of themselves.

Mitch:
You should release the emails. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version