April 29, 2024, 11:14:46 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Best Physical Chemistry Textbooks  (Read 19565 times)

Offline Jorriss

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +41/-14
Best Physical Chemistry Textbooks
« on: June 28, 2010, 10:59:27 PM »
I did a search and did not find anything like this, hopefully I didn't miss it!

Anyways, can someone suggest a good physical chemistry textbook?

Math intensive is fine, math light, also cool.

I have Physical Chemistry by Levine, 4th edition and it looks too bland and the writing, in many places, is really dry.

Thank you :)

Offline orgoclear

• Mole Snacks: +9/-13
Re: Best Physical Chemistry Textbooks
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 11:47:57 PM »
Many people I have asked tell Physical Chemistry by P.W. Atkins is quite good although I have not seen the book myself

Offline Jorriss

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +41/-14
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 12:00:17 AM »
Hmm, I'll look into that more.

Any opinions on Donald McQuarrie's texts?

Offline FreeTheBee

• Mole Snacks: +12/-1
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 02:05:23 AM »
I think the McQuarrie book is excellent. If the topics you need are treated both by Atkins and McQuarrie I would choose the latter, but that is also a matter of personal taste. I grab one or the other if I need to look something up, but overall I have some preference for McQuarrie. Note, that my Atkins edition is an old one, so I cannot compare the latest edition, but judging from his inorganic text (2nd & 5th ed.) I doubt there have been any major improvements.

proximity5

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 06:12:52 AM »
Hi, I am looking for any physical chemistry textbook without a lot of calculus. I have been looking at physical chemistry for biological sciences but I am unsure if they cover the same topics as the regular atkins and other physical chemistry do. Does anyone have any suggestions for good books, or can tell me whether pchem for biological sciences books cover the same pchem topics?

Thanks

Offline McCoy

• Mole Snacks: +4/-2
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 02:43:59 AM »
Engel & Reid is cool on lots of stuffs, but maybe not so good on surface chemistry. Get a copy from the lib and have a look at it. Hey, and to be honest, there's a need to have much calculus in phys chem books if everything is to make sense. Anyway, atkin doesn't have much calculus though.

Offline McCoy

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 05:16:48 AM »
whether pchem for biological sciences books cover the same pchem topics?

Thanks

Offline Ubermensche2012

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 02:18:19 AM »
Engel & Reid is cool on lots of stuffs, but maybe not so good on surface chemistry. Get a copy from the lib and have a look at it. Hey, and to be honest, there's a need to have much calculus in phys chem books if everything is to make sense. Anyway, atkin doesn't have much calculus though.

what is surface chemistry exactly?? and who needs over complicated calculus when you have http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etymology Derivatives. It makes good sense without overly complicated calculus. Simplify is the best way to go.

Offline Ubermensche2012

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 02:23:44 AM »
whether pchem for biological sciences books cover the same pchem topics?

Thanks

I Prefer the current http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_everything in which the two could possibly be combined. in the greek word http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physics nature.

Offline McCoy

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 04:32:29 AM »

what is surface chemistry exactly?? and who needs over complicated calculus when you have http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Etymology Derivatives. It makes good sense without overly complicated calculus. Simplify is the best way to go.

I should have written "Colloids & Surface Chemistry" in my first post, because the two aren't actually separable. Anyway, surface chemistry is the study of chemical  and physical processes that take place at the interface between a solid phase and a gaseous or liquid phase. So here you study things like langmuir adsorption isotherm, surfaced -catalyzed reactions, langmuir - Hinshelwood mechanism...use filed ion microscopy, scanning-tunneling microscopy to provide image of atoms on a surface. colloid science deals with systems in which one or more of the components has at least one dimension withn the nanometre range....e.g aerosols, pharmaceutical, foodstuffs.It also has important applications in biology.

You may also google it.
Cheers.

Offline McCoy

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 04:35:07 AM »

I Prefer the current http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_everything in which the two could possibly be combined. in the greek word http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physics nature.
[/quote]
lol

Offline enz1

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 12:01:34 AM »
Hi, I am looking for any physical chemistry textbook without a lot of calculus. I have been looking at physical chemistry for biological sciences but I am unsure if they cover the same topics as the regular atkins and other physical chemistry do. Does anyone have any suggestions for good books, or can tell me whether pchem for biological sciences books cover the same pchem topics?

Thanks

I would suggest Atkins' "Physical Chemistry for the Life Sciences" and to stay away from "Molecular Driving Forces" by Kenn Dill (too much maths at the expense of well explaining the concepts). Gordon Hammes' "Thermodynamics and Kinetics for the Life Sciences" is too concise if you really wish to understand the field.

Sponsored Links