April 24, 2024, 03:30:26 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Reaction Rate Constant ?  (Read 7734 times)

atta001

Reaction Rate Constant ?
« on: August 12, 2005, 03:59:09 PM »
Dear All,

Consider the following reaction.

3C4H9-OH + POCl3 ===> (C12H27O3)PO + 3HCl
Where
C4H9-OH is n-butanol
POCl3 is Phosphorus Oxychloride
(C12H27O3)PO is Tributyl phosphate
HCl is Hydrochloric acid

I have not been able to find Reaction Rate Constant or Frequency Factor
for this reaction. Can anyone tell me the value if he/she has the literature so that I may simulate my batch reactor. Remember that the Activation energy of Tributyl phosphate is not known to me. If someone is kind enough to guide me to a source which can calulate the rate of reaction without consuming time, I will be forced to quote his name in my report.

Thanks,

Regards,

Atta.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 04:03:36 PM by atta001 »

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:Reaction Rate Constant ?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 01:19:03 AM »
Do you have the reaction mechanism?

I am thinking of using Hammond's Postulate to estimate the activation energy.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

atta001

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 02:02:48 AM »
I wish I knew Chemistry. I am a Chemical Engineer (not good in field of reaction kinetics). Thats why I want to simulate the process.Your help is urgently requested.
Regards,
Atta.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 09:41:46 AM »
I am a chemical engineer too.

A reaction mechanism is consist of steps. By Hammond's Principle, if each step is endothermic, then the enthalpy change for that step is a good estimate of its activation energy.

I am not sure about the reaction mechanism.

Any inorganic chemist here?
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

atta001

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 03:37:58 PM »
This reaction which I have quoted is quite exothermic. It is a fast one as well. The temperature may rise upto 95 degree C if not cooled. Is there a good estimated value of rate constant for this case ? Or is there a method to find it computationally by providing reactants and products ? I just need the rate constant for my reactor simulation in ChemCAD. Your assistance will be much appreciated.

Regards.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 06:44:02 PM »
My professor used to tell the class to "chain a chemist to the reactor and whip him until he gives you the rate constant"

:)

atta001

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005, 12:19:32 AM »
Well your professor was dead right. But I am a student here. And I do not have a realtime reactor data. I can react the reagents in laboratory. But then again how do I measure rate of such a fast and irreversible reaction? Any ideas ??

Regards.

Sponsored Links