March 28, 2024, 12:52:41 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: [Q'a] Experiment of Ideal gases  (Read 6569 times)

Tessy

[Q'a] Experiment of Ideal gases
« on: August 09, 2005, 09:30:09 PM »
Hello viewers! Since I'm doing my first lab experiment I have several variables that I know but some others that I wasn`t capable of answering myself, so if someone can give me a clue on how to do my calculations I will aprecciate that.

The problem that I have is the following:

I have to mix He and Ne in an erlenmeyer of 356cm3 and it weights 0.1480g and this experiment is carried at 20ºC and 748 torr, how can I calculate the mass and the molar fraction of He?

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:[Q'a] Experiment of Ideal gases
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 09:58:17 PM »
assuming ideal gas behavior,

n = PV/RT

the total number of moles (n) of He-Ne can be calculated using the above equation.

u know the mass of n moles of the He-Ne mixture. let this mass be m, ie. m = 0.1480g

let mole fraction of He in He-Ne mixture be X

MHe: Molar Mass of Helium
MNe: Molar Mass of Neon

X.n.MHe + (1-X).n.MNe = m
X.MHe + (1-X).MNe = m/n
X.MHe + MNe - X.MNe = m/n
X.(MHe - MNe)  = m/n - MNe

solve for X
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Tessy

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 11:17:22 PM »
Well I wanna thank you for this...I was a little confused in how to use the X in the equation, but now it's done! ;D

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 12:00:34 PM »
the gist of the method is that the molar mass of the mixture is the summation of the products of the molar mass of each component and its corresponding molar fraction, ie.

m/n = X.MHe + (1-X).MNe
« Last Edit: August 10, 2005, 12:52:54 PM by geodome »
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links