April 26, 2024, 11:21:20 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: making of simple solution  (Read 3128 times)

Offline loaf

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
making of simple solution
« on: July 01, 2010, 01:56:21 PM »
Hi everyone,
Could you help me doing calculation for making a solution of Nacl plus water plus HCl acid. The concentration of NaCl in the solution will be 75% and the total volume of final solution will be 3.5 litres. The pH of the solution will be 3.

Thank you.

Offline tamim83

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-7
  • Quantum Kitten
Re: making of simple solution
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 04:30:38 PM »
I am guessing you need to figure out how much of each component you need to have?  I am going to need some more info to really help you (like are you starting with reagent grade 12M HCl or some other HCl solution).  The best thing to do here is to get to moles of each solute.  For HCl, think about the definition of pH and how you can get moles of HCl from this.  For NaCl, the 75% is most likely by mass, meaning that 75% of the solution mass will come from NaCl.  So you will need the mass of your solution.  But to do this you need the density of the solution.  For most aqueous solutions, the density will be approximately that of water. 

Hope this helps you some. 

Offline jk22

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 12:52:02 PM »
Hello, nice to meet you.

I tried this problem. I wanted to express the pH. Is it right to write :

NaCl+nH2O+pHCl, pH=-log10([H+])=-log10(p/18n) ?

(with HCl->H+ + Cl-)

thanks.

Offline loaf

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 08:34:30 AM »
Could you help me doing calculation for making a solution of Nacl plus water plus HCl acid(HCl concentration is 17%). The concentration of NaCl in the solution will be 75% and the total volume of final solution will be 3.5 litres. The pH of the solution will be 3.
Thank you.

Offline skbuncks

• Mole Snacks: +5/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 07:15:21 AM »
How are you planning on making a 75% NaCl solution when water becomes saturate at around 25-26% NaCl?

skb

Sponsored Links