March 29, 2024, 09:08:16 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Problem with Atkins' Physical Chemistry 8th edition question  (Read 6268 times)

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +138/-98
Hey guys,

I was going through the exercises in Atkins' Physical Chemistry - 8th edition, and I think I found some answers erratic.

For those who have the book, please refer page 25 (Chapter 1 : Gaseous state) questions 1.19a, 1.19b, 1.20a and 1.20b. If you have tried to solve the question, then please refer to the answers as well. The radius of the molecules/atoms is what I don't think are correct.

Can someone who has the book solve for the radii and tell me if the answers agree with yours?

For those who don't have the book, the concept is the usage of Van der Waals co-efficient 'b' to determine the radius of the gaseous atom/molecule.

The book clearly states in a previous page that .
Vmolecule is Volume of the molecule
Na is Avogadro's number

The solutions manual as well as wikipedia ignore the factor 4 as an approximation, but the answers don't seem to agree with that either. Could someone please help me out?
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
Re: Problem with Atkins' Physical Chemistry 8th edition question
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 02:25:01 AM »
Anybody?
"Destiny is not a matter of chance; but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
- William Jennings Bryan

Offline jj74

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 09:56:15 AM »
for 1.19a I found 1.48*10EXP(-8) cm,  I don’t have the solution manual
It's a town full of losers, I'm pulling out of here to win

Offline Schrödinger

• Chemist
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 12:21:18 PM »
First of all, thanks for the reply.

That's the answer I got too. So, I guess the solution manual and the answer at the back of the text are the wrong.

Thanks a lot again
- William Jennings Bryan

Sponsored Links