March 28, 2024, 02:34:38 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Going to be a senior Chemistry major - Please help me what to do!  (Read 4875 times)

yg7s7

I'm going to be a senior with Chemistry major and math minor. The problem is, I don't want to do chemistry research anymore and interested in working as a chemical engineer. I also think my mathematics minor sparked my interest in it. In my senior year I'll be working for a professor in a research lab about nanotechnology to achieve solar-to-chemical energy conversion because it looks good on my resume and I want to make some money.

So for next step should I try to find a summer ChemE internship after graduation?
Also, can chemistry majors get engineering jobs in indutries like Renewable Energy, or should I get master's in Chemical Engineering?

Offline o0CY0o

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Re: Going to be a senior Chemistry major - Please help me what to do!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 02:19:37 AM »
I'm going to be a senior with Chemistry major and math minor. The problem is, I don't want to do chemistry research anymore and interested in working as a chemical engineer. I also think my mathematics minor sparked my interest in it. In my senior year I'll be working for a professor in a research lab about nanotechnology to achieve solar-to-chemical energy conversion because it looks good on my resume and I want to make some money.

So for next step should I try to find a summer ChemE internship after graduation?
Also, can chemistry majors get engineering jobs in indutries like Renewable Energy, or should I get master's in Chemical Engineering?
Definitely you can. But the point isyou need to catch up with all the processing work.
I somehow regret choosing ChemE as my UG . I cannot change to chemistry for PG haha.

Offline eugenedakin

• Oilfield Consulting Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +88/-2
  • My desk agrees with the law of entropy
    • Personal Website
Re: Going to be a senior Chemistry major - Please help me what to do!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 12:19:13 AM »
Hello yg7s7,

If you are able to have both a Chemistry and Chemical Engineering degree (either ungraduate or graduate), the two degree's definately work well together. If you are able to get two degrees, I would definately recommend it. The industry can never determine the next job downturn, and it is always good to have as many job options available.

Back in the old-days, you could work with one employer for your entire life. This is no longer the case. You need to make sure that you have a diverse background.

I hope this helps,

Eugene
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those that do not.

Sponsored Links