March 29, 2024, 10:14:59 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: N + He => O + H ... Why cant burn the H and O?  (Read 11454 times)

Offline osward

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
N + He => O + H ... Why cant burn the H and O?
« on: August 04, 2010, 09:21:54 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm newbie here, i'm not a chemistry student but intresting to play around with it. Ok i'm using a thorium to create oxygen and hydrogen in a air (N+He=>O+H). i use a air pump, the air inlet install with thorium filter. every air going in the air pump inlet going to convert to Oxygen and Hydrogen. So i though once i light up a fire in a air pump outlet it going to be small explosion. But nothing!!!

Its because of singel H and O cant burn? Its need to bond it become HHO?

Offline gippgig

• Mole Snacks: +8/-2
Re: N + He => O + H ... Why cant burn the H and O?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 11:32:31 PM »
Nuclear reactions generally occur extremely infrequently. Only trace amounts - a few atoms - of H would be produced (and any that was formed would react (chemically) as soon as it was produced).

Offline osward

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 12:53:34 AM »
Nuclear reactions generally occur extremely infrequently. Only trace amounts - a few atoms - of H would be produced (and any that was formed would react (chemically) as soon as it was produced).

Hi Gipping,
Only few H atom produce and it will automaticaly bond by it self to HHO. Hmmm so with mean my probelm is, i need to increase the H atom. Currently i'm using alpha 5000CPM, so how much more should i increase? Or do you have a data of H release from Thorium in calculation?

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-9
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 08:09:15 AM »
Ever thought about water electrolysis to get O2 and H2;D
The way of the superior man may be compared to what takes place in traveling, when to go to a distance we must first traverse the space that is near, and in ascending a height, when we must begin from the lower ground. (Confucius)

Offline gippgig

• Mole Snacks: +8/-2
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 10:49:29 PM »
I don't have any figures for the rate of H production but it is so small that it just isn't practical to make a significant amount this way.

Offline vmelkon

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-10
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 12:39:02 PM »
When the nitrogen in the air is hit by an alpha particle, a proton might be ejected so in fact, you won't have hydrogen, it will be a lonely proton flying off at high speed until it bind with some atom (N2 or O2 or whatever is in the air).
14N + alpha(+2) = 17O(+) + p(+)

Another reaction path would be
14N + alpha(+2) = 17F(+2) + n
and the F would decay by beta+ emission and turn into 17O

A fun experiment would be to try to detect those beta+ emissions with a geiger counter.

Sponsored Links