March 29, 2024, 06:04:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What have you done this summer?  (Read 16235 times)

Offline Tiger

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +15/-5
  • When I'm with you Eternity is a step away
What have you done this summer?
« on: August 12, 2005, 08:57:50 AM »
Summer is almost over...so share with everyone what you have been doing...

I start first

1/ I had two vacations: one in CO and one in Canada

2/ Still working at the learning center..(this summer was so crowded. studennts drove me crazy)

3/ Tutoring Organic chemistry..(gotta read the book before I tutor because I forgot everythingggggggg)

4/ Food, food, and food...and work for foodddddddddddd

*That's it

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:What have you done this summer?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 10:17:54 AM »
Hmmmm.  Good idea for a thread.  Let's see...

1):  Work.  Once you're out of school, there is no such thing as 'summer vacation'.
2):  Started golfing.
3):  Went on a trip to Yankee Stadium in the Bronx and had GREAT seats for a GREAT game.
4):  Went to a few parties and 're-lived' some of my college days.   ;)
5):  Fleshed out some collections I had going that I never really finished.  (Element collection was the first collection I ever started and finished).
6):  Started a new company with some people I've worked with for a while.
7):  Found out that I'm getting some photos published in a chemistry textbook.
8):  Turned 25 years old.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline Tiger

• Retired Staff
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 12:17:40 PM »
Started a new company??? Cool

I need a job :)

GCT

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 12:42:08 PM »
I ate, ate, and ate...and gained probably >5 pounds >:( ewww, right?

Went to the Great Smoky Mountains in Tennessee/NC

Took a couple of summer courses, had to drop genetics since differential equations was going super fast (2 sections/day, a test/week) and since I was also preoccupied with a part time job.  With the exception of genetics, the courses went really well, learned a lot and it's satisfying to know that I probably won't have to take a higher math course.  Still have to take multivariable calc though, a lower level math course :(  Organic II lab was fun.

Didn't spend too much time outside though.  Practiced for the GRE, and read up a bit on physical chemistry.

Spent a lot of time with family, all my friends are either married (at the age of 22!), in med/law school, basically no fun.  My days as a party animal are officially over; drinkings doing me no good (memory lapses) and will be way to busy this coming fall/spring which is my last year as an undergraduate.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2005, 01:00:02 PM »
Hehe.  Well, the company isn't exactly off of the ground yet.  The paperwork has been filled out, but that's about it.  I can't really talk about it all too much right now, but if it works I'll be a happy individual and if it doesn't it won't cost me much at all.

Next weekend I'm heading out to a cabin up in New Hampshire where all that's planned is hiking through the woods, drinking, playing darts, playing pool, enjoying nature, and 'expanding my mind'.  (Limpet does this a lot.   ;) )
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline Tiger

• Retired Staff
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2005, 01:27:52 PM »
:) Hiking?? :) Sounds gooooooooooooooddddd..

and you just turned 25 ? Wow..I'm 52 too...Did you do anything fun for your birthday???

Corvettaholic

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2005, 02:58:22 PM »
This summer has been... well... hot. I do live in Phoenix.

1) Party on the salt river, anyone who's been there know's what I'm talking about
2) 2 week army trip to the middle of nowhere
3) Got promoted to a sergeant finally
4) Wrote some new (ugly) software for work
5) Drinking. A lot.
6) Smoking. A lot.
7) Refinanced my house.

Last summer was better I think.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2005, 11:08:03 PM »
I didnt return home this summer. I thought it was a good plan to experience life detached from home. I was wrong :( I still miss home and most importantly southeast asian cuisine.

1. Wild Summer Party at Cromwall
2. Travelling across England and Europe
3. Self-reflection on ambition and short-term goals
4. Reading a few good books

I might as well include my reading list here:
1. The Hydrogen Economy, by Jeremy Rifkin
2. The End of Oil, by Paul Roberts
3. Progress and Barbarism, by Clive Ponting

Last summer was better. I was dating a few girls at the same time then. haha. Sigh.. everybody I know in London returned home.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 11:09:34 PM by geodome »
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline tortoise

• Mole Snacks: +4/-10
  • I'm a tortoise!
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2005, 01:04:49 AM »
I enjoy staying at home!

Offline ATMyller

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-6
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2005, 05:58:41 AM »
For me this has been the most uneventful summer ever.
Besides working and reading I've managed to watch 10 full lenght anime series and played couple dozen games of Battletech.
Chemists do it periodically on table.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2005, 11:39:34 AM »
Well this past weekend I also learned a few things.

1):  As a 25 year old, my body can't recover from a night of heavy drinking as well as my 21 year old body could.
2):  Rugs and gravity can leave quite the impression on your face.
3):  Booze and balance are complete polar opposites.  (If you have a lot of booze, you have very little balance and vice-versa).
4):  Hangovers are worse when you have yet another party to go to later on that evening.
5):  When you wake up and say 'Oh my god, I hope that wasn't expensive', it's not a good sign.   :D
6):  Having a place to crash is a WONDERFUL thing.   ;D

GCT

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2005, 12:29:34 PM »
As a 25 year old, my body can't recover from a night of heavy drinking as well as my 21 year old body could.

same here, although I'm 23.  Some people are able to drink more as they get older, it seems to be the opposite for me.  I think its partly because I drink more frequently these days although not nearly as much in one session.

Booze and balance are complete polar opposites.  (If you have a lot of booze, you have very little balance and vice-versa).
one would think that you learned this the first time you got drunk.

Hangovers are worse when you have yet another party to go to later on that evening.
yeah you're definitely killing some brain cells

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2005, 02:56:09 PM »
In theory I was working on the marketing of CASC and BATE. But it is not easy to do something when both my wife and my son have vacation too and they are sitting home 24/7.

So to be honest I was just farting around, biking in every possible direction from home. My plan to make 2500 km between July 15th and the end of August is well behind schedule, perhaps it is a time to make it 3000, as I have just 100 km left - not much for over two weeks.

Not the funniest summer in my life - I was badly hit financially this year and situation looks worse and worse since...

Perhaps someone here needs a pH calculator? Or program for solution preparation and concentration calculations? ;)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 02:56:55 PM by Borek »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2005, 02:57:46 PM »
Wow..I'm 52 too...

You look much younger :)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2005, 03:18:55 PM »
Well, I have been looking for a job most of this summer, and getting sweet bog all luck, must have failed about 20 interviews, ok, maybe its my fault that according to my friends, I look like one of the walking dead, but thats not something I can help ;D

So inbetween looking for jobs, and signing on the dole every fortnight, I have been expanding my mind quite a lot of late, added quite a few new plants to my collection, including Desmanthus Illinoiensis (illinois bundleflower, look it up ;)) , I will very shortly have a khat plant on the way ( a legal *in the UK* stimulant containing cathine and cathinone), and tomorrow or the next day, I am intending to take a cutting of a lovely wild Datura Stramonium I saw nearby, although that one is strictly for its cultural value as an entheogen, not for actual use ;D

Just got myself a great new leather biker jacket too, got it on the cheapo for £12.

But mainly really, my summer has consisted of bumming around, expanding my mind, blasting out stuff on my guitars, and mycological forays into the nearby woods so I have to pay less money out to eat, why pay, when you have all the gourmet fungi you can stomach growing free.

Although having said that, one does grow heartily sick of sulfur polypore after eating it week in, week out :P
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Sponsored Links