June 17, 2024, 03:30:47 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Best way to make stock solution of sodium butyrate for cell research  (Read 16001 times)

Offline DocterAwkward

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hi!

As a medical student doing experiments in the field of cell biology, I was particularly interested in the use of sodium butyrate. Unfortunately, my knowledge of chemistry is rather basic. And although I've got the support of lots of professors here, nobody has ever experimented with butyrate before, thereby nobody in the lab can give me a conclusive answer to my questions.

I recently ordered some sodium butyrate (99% purity, crystalline form) to have it dissolved for experimental use. Although I read the instructions on how to make a stock solution, contradictory reports got me confused.

Some manufacturers say that it can be easily dissolved in an aqueous solution, stating nothing about its stability. One of the manufacturer states that dissolving butyrate in a aqueous solution would make it unstable and thereby not really useful for making a stock solution (i.e. maximum storage for 1 day). The document also recommends it to dissolve it in ethanol before use. 
But as far as I know, this would result in the formation of the ester of butyrate and ethanol, which might be useless when studying butyrate effects in cells. Right? (please correct me if I'm wrong).

So my question basically comes to this:
What is the best solvent to use when I want to dissolve butyrate when making a stock solution? Can I safely dissolve it in PBS (Phosphate buffered Saline) or is it better to dissolve it in distilled water and correct the pH with NaOH?

Looking forward to your *delete me*

Best regards,
Dr. Awkward

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1804/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Best way to make stock solution of sodium butyrate for cell research
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 04:24:59 AM »
Some manufacturers say that it can be easily dissolved in an aqueous solution, stating nothing about its stability.

That would be my guess.

One of the manufacturer states that dissolving butyrate in a aqueous solution would make it unstable and thereby not really useful for making a stock solution (i.e. maximum storage for 1 day).

Honestly, I don't see any reason for a low stability of the solution - which doesn't mean there is none.

The document also recommends it to dissolve it in ethanol before use.

Are you sure we are talking sodium butyrate, which is an ionic salt?

Ethanol helps to dissolve things of otherwise low water solubility, it just speeds up the process if they are better soluble in ethanol. But somehow I don't think ionic salt will be well soluble in ethanol.

But as far as I know, this would result in the formation of the ester of butyrate and ethanol, which might be useless when studying butyrate effects in cells. Right? (please correct me if I'm wrong).

No, no risk of creating the ester this way.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline DocterAwkward

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 04:39:28 AM »
That would be my guess.

One of the manufacturer states that dissolving butyrate in a aqueous solution would make it unstable and thereby not really useful for making a stock solution (i.e. maximum storage for 1 day).

Honestly, I don't see any reason for a low stability of the solution - which doesn't mean there is none.

The document also recommends it to dissolve it in ethanol before use.

Are you sure we are talking sodium butyrate, which is an ionic salt?

Yup, when I was looking for a protocol for handling butyrate, I bumped into this: http://www.caymanchem.com/pdfs/13121.pdf .

So, I'll guess I'll make a aqueous solution then. To ensure the neutrality of the solution, should I use PBS for this?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1804/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 05:18:22 PM »
What do you want stock butyrate solution to be neutral?

As far as I can tell from the pdf you have linked to they have not stated it is unstable, they don't recommend to keep it for more than 1 day. That's not necessarily the same.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links