April 25, 2024, 11:03:36 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Distillation  (Read 6503 times)

Offline AngelShare

• Mole Snacks: +9/-8
  • The Eternal Flame
Distillation
« on: August 12, 2005, 11:12:02 PM »
During the processing of wine (A type of alcohol), the fermented grape mush is filtered to produce a crude wine. It is not considered "sterile" and drinkable until it is distilled.

A. How does distillation make wine safe to drink?
^^I have no clue...I know what Distillation does/is but I can't figure out what it does that makes WINE safe to drink...what would be evaporating? Bacteria? I hope that wasn't a dumb guess... :D

B. What is the purpose of the water-cooled condenser in the distillation apparatus?
It allows the more volatile ingredient(s) to escape to a new container...is that right?

C. In the mixture of crude wine and water, which component is more volatile?
Water...but why? I'm doubting that I have to just write "water" down so if someone could explain it to me, that is if I'm even right, I'd appreciate it. :)
Trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth.[/size] ~Alan Watts

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
Re:Distillation
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 12:32:48 AM »
A. since u know that distillation is the seperation of miscible liquids, there must be some impurities that do not belong to the "natural" product. shouldnt be hard to think of some. we have lots of pollution nowadays.

B. that is correct... but in the question context u need to give more specifics. (ie. to collect the distilled "sterile" wine)

C. consider their boiling points; ethanol boils at 78 celsius while water boils at 100 celsius. which will evaporate faster?
one learns best by teaching

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 04:08:36 AM »
During the processing of wine (A type of alcohol), the fermented grape mush is filtered to produce a crude wine. It is not considered "sterile" and drinkable until it is distilled.

Either me or author of the question doesn't know what "wine" means in English.

Wine doesn't require distillation to be drinkable. Distilling wine you turn it into completely other beverage, of much higher alcohol percentage. After fermentation and filtration wine is ready to be drinked, although it should be left for at least several months undisturbed for maturing, to gain much better taste.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2005, 06:22:20 AM by Borek »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 09:44:19 AM »
no wonder the question seems so wierd.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline AngelShare

• Mole Snacks: +9/-8
  • The Eternal Flame
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 03:37:50 PM »
Either me or author of the question doesn't know what "wine" means in English.

Wine doesn't require distillation to be drinkable. Distilling wine you turn it into completely other beverage, of much higher alcohol percentage. After fermentation and filtration wine is ready to be drinked, although it should be left for at least several months undisturbed for maturing, to gain much better taste.

That's what it said, I have it here and that's the exact problem...I don't know, I thought the water would be evaporating according to what someone else said and I thought it would be making it stronger like you said, not safer...I'm lost, wine isn't mentioned in the book, just Distillation...
Trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth.[/size] ~Alan Watts

Sponsored Links