April 29, 2024, 11:41:51 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Compound stuck on column  (Read 13366 times)

Offline syunchow

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Compound stuck on column
« on: August 07, 2010, 02:12:00 AM »
I'm trying to seperate my compound tert-butyl 3-hydroxy-4-methylenepiperidine-1-carboxylate from methyl phenyl sulfoxide using EtOAC:Pet. ether 1:4. Methyl phenyl sulfoxide was eluted first and quickly but my compound did not get eluted out at all. I can see a brown band on top of the silica column, tried to flush it out using pure ethyl acetate but did not work. Please help.

Offline syunchow

Re: Compound stuck on column
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 02:37:38 AM »
and is there any way of recovering my compound :( ?

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 06:07:03 AM »
Your compound is a carboxylic acid, correct?
Why column it, do a simple base acid wash and you have it.
Now you suspend the silica with your compound in sodium hydroxide, stir and filter wash with toluene. Add fresh toluene and adjust the pH of the aqueous phase to 1 - 2 and extract the free acid into the toluene. Evaporate the solvent and you have it.
If toluene does not dissolve the compound use dichloromethane.
good luck
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline syunchow

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 06:49:46 AM »
Hi discodermolide,
Thanks for your suggestion. It is not a carboxylic acid (the carboxylate comes from the boc protecting group) - my compound has a hydroxyl group. Still trying to figure out what's happened since this is a literature protocol :(

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 07:24:36 PM »
Hi discodermolide,
Thanks for your suggestion. It is not a carboxylic acid (the carboxylate comes from the boc protecting group) - my compound has a hydroxyl group. Still trying to figure out what's happened since this is a literature protocol :(

So it is a carbamic acid t-butyl ester. Change your solvent to methylene chloride containing 1-5%methanol and you.should move it off the column.
Next time try several TLC systems to get an idea of how it elites before doing the column, 
Good luck
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline Doc Oc

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +48/-12
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 10:46:37 AM »
Next time try several TLC systems to get an idea of how it elites before doing the column

This.  You should never run a column without doing TLCs yourself, even if you're following a literature procedure for the same compound.

Offline syunchow

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 09:53:43 PM »
I have done a TLC before I run the column! My compound has a nice Rf value of 0.43 - unfortunately it just didnt translate into column separation.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 10:48:08 AM »
I have done a TLC before I run the column! My compound has a nice Rf value of 0.43 - unfortunately it just didnt translate into column separation.

That is unusual. Usually one would cut back on the polarity of the eluent if your compound had an Rf that high. So, just using your TLC solvent should have eluted your compound in a few column volumes.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline syunchow

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 09:55:46 PM »
I have a brief talk with one of the senior chemists in my group - apparently compound with hydroxyl group (i.e serine-containing peptide) tends to stick on the column in EtOAc eluting system? Any idea why?

p.s I will be extra careful next time and test other solvent systems before running column :)

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 06:59:58 AM »

Did you do this immediately before loading the crude onto the column or were there work up procedures between running the TLC and running the column? If there were stages between TLC and column it is possible that your compound was degraded/destroyed/washed out in these procedures. I have also observed quite striking shifts in RF after workup procedures as well, for example it is quite common in borohydride reductions in my experience - where presumably boron complexes are hydrolysed on workup, changing the RF.

Make sure you have a TLC of exactly the material that you are loading onto the column.

You could also run a 2D TLC to check for decomposition on silica.

My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline manishbiyani

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 08:32:54 AM »
syunchow:

Please make sure that you don't throw the silica gel which you think contains your compound.
a) Your compound is very polar
b) The system pet ether/ EA won't be good enough to pull out your compound
c) Try to use dcm: methanol start from 95:5 to 9:1, if still it doesnt come then increase to 8.5:1.5
d) Did you check the NMR of the crude mixture (whether it contained desired product.

Hope this suggestion helps.

Offline manishbiyani

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 08:39:07 AM »
Syunchow:

I forgot to mention...these are all other possibilities if you have already taken into consideration the points related to TLC system by other members (i.e. Rf before column, 2D etc)

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 04:59:48 PM »
If it really is a polarity problem, which I personally doubt, you can use what we call WIPE-127. This is 1:2:7 water/isopropanol/ethyl acetate, you can column free sugars with it (the isopropanol/ethyl acetate ratio can be varied, but do not exceed 10% water), and they are far more polar than the compound in question.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline syunchow

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 04:55:56 AM »
Thanks everyone for your advice :)
I've managed to fix the problem - it seems that there's major streaking when I used EtOAC/Pet. ether system (from the -OH group?). I used 100% DCM to 5% MeOH in DCM and that, works beautifully - most of my compound was recovered! YAY!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links