April 26, 2024, 02:04:01 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: I am once again stuck, involves determining empirical formula  (Read 4568 times)

Offline cubejunkies

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
I am once again stuck, involves determining empirical formula
« on: August 08, 2010, 03:27:25 AM »
The question is as follows. I have no idea where to start.

A sample of a compound of Cl and O reacts with an excess of H2 to give 0.233 g of HCl and 0.403 g of H20. Determine the empirical formula of the compound.

I tried determining the chemical formula of this reaction, but without knowing the number of moles of Cl in the compound, I can't properly balance the equation. I also tried stoichiometric-ally determining the number of moles of Cl and O in the products, but the number of moles in each were in terms of 10^-2 and 10^-3 moles, so i couldn't use those mole values as the bases of the Cl and O compound as a basis to simplify hoping to eventually reach the empirical formula, so I'm basically stuck :(

I really suck at chemistry...

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: I am once again stuck, involves determining empirical formula
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 03:55:47 AM »
I also tried stoichiometric-ally determining the number of moles of Cl and O in the products, but the number of moles in each were in terms of 10^-2 and 10^-3 moles, so i couldn't use those mole values as the bases

That's the correct approach. There is no problem with numbers being in 0.01 and 0.001 range, as it is ratio that counts.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline opti384

• Mole Snacks: +33/-25
    • In the Search for the Laws of Nature
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 09:17:57 AM »
When finding empirical formula of compounds, keep in mind that in a reaction the amount of Cl and O is same (in your case) with the reactants and the products. From this you can deduce the empirical formula.

Offline cubejunkies

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 08:19:46 PM »
see, i tried this, and i got 6.39 x 10^-3 moles of Cl and 2.24 x 10^-2 moles of O, and i really cant go anywhere with that because 2.24 x 10^-2 / 6.39 x 10^-3 isnt close to a whole number

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 02:05:24 AM »
Where does it say that the number of instances of one atom has to be 1 per compound?

If I had 77 apples, and 22 oranges, what is my fruit ratio in whole numbers?

S

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 02:11:42 AM »
I tried determining the chemical formula of this reaction, but without knowing the number of moles of Cl in the compound, I can't properly balance the equation.
?
ClxOy + (x/2+y)H2 = xHCl + yH2O
AWK

Sponsored Links