April 27, 2024, 05:09:06 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ionic compound  (Read 6921 times)

sunshin3

Ionic compound
« on: August 13, 2005, 08:30:46 PM »
i m doing summerwork for ap chem but i never learn this before so  can anyone please explain this?

predict the formula of the solid ionic compound when each of the followig pairs are combines: Na and I

Also, how can you explain why propane is a gas, hexane is a liquid, and an dodecane, C12H26 is a solid at room temp.?

yl88

Re:Ionic compound
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 10:51:25 PM »
1) NaI
2) Dispersion force is the only force acting on those molecules. Larger molecules usually have stronger dispersion forces, thus a denser physical state.

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 04:04:57 AM »
based on what u know about melting and boiling points, why would bigger molecules exist as low energy solids while smaller molecules exist as high energy gases?
one learns best by teaching

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 04:02:10 PM »
sunshin3: have you learned inter-molecular bonding?
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline sdekivit

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +32/-3
  • B.Sc Biomedical Sciences, Utrecht University
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 04:04:56 PM »
thus a van der Waals force for example if you don't know what intermolecular bonding means
« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 04:05:18 PM by sdekivit »

sunshin3

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 04:53:19 PM »
so i should figure out which intermolecular attraction they are, and then explain how different intermolecular forces effect the molecules?

sunshin3

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005, 05:54:23 PM »
actually i figured out that the second questions has something to do with polarizability so i get it now. thanks everyone!

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2005, 07:44:06 PM »
Also, how can you explain why propane is a gas, hexane is a liquid, and an dodecane, C12H26 is a solid at room temp.?

actually i figured out that the second questions has something to do with polarizability so i get it now. thanks everyone!

what polarizability? it is just that these 3 substances exhibit different degree of intermolecular bonding, with propane the weakest and dodecane the strongest. the strength of van der waals' forces is directly proportional to the size of the molecular electron cloud. whereby dodecane has the biggest number of electron.

in polarizability, you have to describe a 2 entities. the first entity that exhibits polarising power and the second entity that experiences the polarising power. the effect of the polarising power on the 2nd entity is term the polarizability.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

sunshin3

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005, 11:50:30 PM »
i read about polarizbility so i thought maybe they r related. now i know it's worng, thanks geodome!

Sponsored Links