April 28, 2024, 08:50:48 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: More from Tmdraks friend  (Read 5574 times)

TmDrak

More from Tmdraks friend
« on: August 14, 2005, 01:04:56 AM »
Hello everyone its me again, translating for tmdrak. He has more questions, and here they are. Hey friends, I have a question. How would you store gases? Glass Tubes? If so how would you mix them without letting the go into the air. And I learned in class that if you want to combine gases you need to light it or something..how is this done? My main question is how would you combine gases and light them without letting them escape... thanks

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
Re:More from Tmdraks friend
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 04:11:53 AM »
mixing gases... i used to see alot of diagrams involving two stoppered tubes on top of each other, than the cover was taken out, to show the diffusion of gases.

i've seen a diagram before that involved a sealed container with a gas syringe inside, while using a bulb inside the container to heat the contents of the gas syringe.

i assume by "light" u mean heating with oxygen..?
one learns best by teaching

TmDrak

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 04:02:10 PM »
He says he learned in class, that molecules can't be made unless they are sparked or something, thats what he means by light.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 04:08:41 PM »
chemical reaction has an activation energy barrier. one has to provide energy to overcome this barrier, either by UV rays, heat or pass an electric spark through the reaction chamber.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links