April 18, 2024, 06:11:16 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Mercury interfering with Aluminium oxide coating ? wel it didn't for me  (Read 5578 times)

ericandrews

I remember reading at some crazy scientists website  if you smear mercury on aluminium it interferes with the oxide coating and the Al just oxidises away.

I tried it just now in my lab and the mercury can not be smeared, it forms balls and rolls away, no interfering of oxidising occured on the aluminium surface. I thought maybe the mercury is coating in oil of some type and washed it in solvent, still nothing. I tried sanding the aluminium surface and then putting mercury on it. still nothing !

The crazy scientists website said americans would try and smear mercury onto aircraft of the nazis. Well I sure as hell don't know how they could have, and come to think of it the aircraft would have been painted anways.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2005, 07:43:34 PM by ericandrews »

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:Mercury interfering with Aluminium oxide coating ? wel it didn't for me
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 10:05:02 PM »
http://www.popsci.com/popsci/how2/article/0,20967,693558,00.html

All you have to do is make a fine areosol of the mercury.  It will stick.  Trust me.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re:Mercury interfering with Aluminium oxide coating ? wel it didn't for me
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 05:28:54 AM »
Try to put some mercury between two pieces of aluminium and rub them. Should work.

Are you using pure aluminium or some alloy? Seems pure aluminium is much more prone to this kind of oxidation.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links