March 28, 2024, 08:26:55 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Hydrocarbon Reactions w. Bromine Water || Halohydration w. Unsymmetrical Alkenes  (Read 8476 times)

Offline Caeldom

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
  • Dan
    • Visit Dan's Online Portfolio
My teacher used bromine water as an example of a halogenation addition reaction with cyclohexene, to produce dibromocyclohexane. However, I’m a bit confused since in my textbook, it says 3-hexene will react with bromine water in a halohydration reaction, forming 4-bromo-3-hexanol. Is it just because one is cyclic and the other acyclic that the reactions differ?

Furthermore, I found out that bromine water partially disassociates into the equilibrium (leaning heavily to the left):

Br2(l) + H2O(l) ::equil:: HOBr(aq) + HBr(aq)

Which means that there are both hypobromous acid and hydrogen bromide present in the solution as well. Doesn’t that mean they will all react with the hydrocarbon to form three or even four different products?

Or does it depend on the state of the reactant, the length of chain, concentrations etc... because to my understanding bromine will cause a halogenation, water will cause hydration, hypobromous acid will cause halohydration and hydrogen bromide will cause hydrohalogenation.

I also found out that this would all be simplified to a halogenation reaction if it were bromine in a non-aqueous solution. My teacher didn’t go into this much detail at all, though I haven’t had a chance to ask him specifically yet.

Also, what will be the favoured product in halohydration with unsymmetrical alkenes?

In a simple example like the reaction of 2-pentene with hypobromous acid:

CH3-CH=CH-CH2-CH3(g) + HOBr(aq)

will it form 3-bromo-2-pentanol, or 2-bromo-3-pentanol?

I know there’s Markovnikov’s Rule when it comes to hydrogen, but is there one for hydroxyl groups? Or perhaps it will form equal amounts of both?

Cheers,
Dan
Animator, artist, asian, australian, bookworm, brother, christian, dancer, drummer, gamer, graphics designer, muso, ninja, programmer, traceur, web designer.

Offline Jorriss

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +41/-14
It's probably close to 50-50. That's what I'd bet.

Offline Caeldom

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
  • Dan
    • Visit Dan's Online Portfolio
As in for halohydration with unsymmetrical alkenes you mean?
Animator, artist, asian, australian, bookworm, brother, christian, dancer, drummer, gamer, graphics designer, muso, ninja, programmer, traceur, web designer.

Offline Jorriss

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +41/-14
I was actually just referring to your specific example there.

Offline eunChae

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
In my humble opinion, I think the following,
     In halohydration of terminal alkenes, bromination occurs in terminal carbon and OH goes to beta carbon. However, in unsymmetrical alkenes we should look at how carbon chain differs on both side. I mean, in your example methyl and ethyl doesnt differ too much in electron donating or withdrawing kinda thing but if there exists, for example, an efficient electron donating group, OH attacks to that side (since it reduces the partial positive charge of beta carbon).

If I'm wrong, please let me know.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
To original poster, I agree I think your professor erred. This is how I rationalize what should happen in these reactions.

First of all, as an acid-base problem, water is a stronger base than Br-. This is equivalent to saying HBr is a stronger acid than H3O+. Therefore, if an alkene reacts with Br2, the resulting bromonium ion can react with H20 or Br-. Since H20 is more basic, we should expect it to react at a faster rate to give a bromohydrin.

That lays out a reasonable principle. Obviously, it doesn't take concentration effects into account. As the concentration of H20 decreases or if NaBr is added, then Br- may compete more effectively.

Re: unsymmetrical alkenes
The opening of epoxides and bromonium ions can be thought of as paradoxical to the rules for SN1/SN2 reactions. Methylcyclohexene is often used as an example as the stereochemical effects can also be learned. The reaction of methylcyclohexene with Br2/H2O will give …
See Cyclohexene reaction with bromine and water.

For the example of 2-pentene, I would predict the 3-pentanol to be greater than the 2-pentanol product because an ethyl is a better electron donor than methyl. What would make this very interesting is if someone would provide the data for this actual reaction. Which alcohol is predominant and by how much?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 02:04:25 PM by orgopete »
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Sponsored Links