April 28, 2024, 05:32:32 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: product of dehydration of pinacol  (Read 6534 times)

briteyellowness

product of dehydration of pinacol
« on: August 15, 2005, 06:55:10 PM »
question: given that the dehydration of pinacol (2,3-dimethyl-2,3-butanediol) with strong acid and heat is neither an oxidation nor a reduction, which of the following best describes the product?

answer: ketone

i have no idea why?  isn't the carbon tertiary and forming a ketone would mean having five bonds with it, which isn't possible?  the only thing i might be able to see forming is maybe an epoxide?  

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re:product of dehydration of pinacol
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 08:05:51 PM »
This reaction comes about from what is known as the pinacol rearrangement (at least, this is what my organic prof. refered to it as).  The acid will protonate a hydroxide group to form water.  The water will leave to form a carbocation.  The carbocation will rearrange via a 1,2-methyl shift to form a secondary carbocation connected to the other hydroxide.  This rearrangement is favored because of resonance-stabilization; the lone pair on the oxygen can donate electron density to the empty p-orbital of the carbocation, and in general, resonance-stabilized secondary carbocations are more stable than tertiary carbocations with no resonance-stabilization.  Subsequent deprotonation of the oxygen results in the formation of 3,3-dimethyl-2-butanone (pinacolone[?]).

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
Re:product of dehydration of pinacol
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 10:30:52 PM »
Yep, Yggdrasil has it right.  Mitch has kindly drawn out the mechanism on our mechanism page.

However, I wouldn't call the stabilization of the carbocation a resonance stabilization.  It's really a "neighboring group" effect.  Technically resonance structures must have the same number of sigma bonds.

Sponsored Links