April 25, 2024, 06:05:40 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Finding A Job  (Read 4840 times)

Offline Guitarmaniac86

• Mole Snacks: +31/-2
  • Medicinal Chemist
Finding A Job
« on: August 24, 2010, 06:22:18 AM »
I have recently graduated with a BSc in Chemistry. I missed out on a 2.1 and ended up with a 2.2 due to some serious health problems. I was advised to resit the final year but as stubborn as I am I wanted to finish. So I ended up with a 2.2. It annoyed me then and its killing me now because I am finding it impossible to find a job. The university I attended basically told me to wait until after I start my masters to look for a job because I wont find a job at all anywhere with a 2.2. How can this be? I am perfectly capable of cleaning glassware!

Ive tried to find jobs on sites such as reed.co.uk, newscientist.com, science-recruitment.com, chempeople.com etc but have had no luck. My degree is obviously not good enough or my CV is utter rubbish. So Ive come for advice. Just how do you get a job with a chemistry degree? All Im really looking for is a job in a lab doing basically anything from sample preparation to cleaning glassware. Im really not too fussed so long as I can:

1) Do something even remotely based in chemistry
2) Stay in Surrey/London/Reading
3) Earn a little over minumum wage
4) Work full time.

Also, can anyone point me to other sources to find jobs. Ive tried applying direct to companies through their own careers website but a lot of places want a 2.1 or they arent recruiting anyone.

(I went to my careers advisor and he basically told me that a 2.2 wont get me anywhere. I need a job because I have been accepted onto a masters course but I have defered entry for a year because I actually dont have the money to pay for it).

Don't believe atoms, they make up everything!

Offline Doc Oc

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +48/-12
Re: Finding A Job
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 12:38:15 AM »
I'm not entirely sure what this 2.1 vs 2.2 is, it sounds like it's your grading system (different here in the US).

It's more than possible to get a job without stellar grades, you actually don't even need to list them on your resume.  I think the larger problem for you is that the UK got absolutely murdered in the sweeping layoffs that started earlier this year.  Many facilities shuttered their doors completely and left the entirety of the staff without jobs.  It's not going to be easy for anyone, including you.

One thing you can maybe do is find a lab tech position at a small local university.  This could be something as simple as working in the stockroom, or it could entail preparing buffer solutions and other lab work.  It might be monotonous or mindless, but it will allow you to get some experience and that will help you move up into a more full-time research position.

Best of luck.

Offline Guitarmaniac86

• Mole Snacks: +31/-2
  • Medicinal Chemist
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 06:43:11 AM »
I'm not entirely sure what this 2.1 vs 2.2 is, it sounds like it's your grading system (different here in the US).

It's more than possible to get a job without stellar grades, you actually don't even need to list them on your resume.  I think the larger problem for you is that the UK got absolutely murdered in the sweeping layoffs that started earlier this year.  Many facilities shuttered their doors completely and left the entirety of the staff without jobs.  It's not going to be easy for anyone, including you.

One thing you can maybe do is find a lab tech position at a small local university.  This could be something as simple as working in the stockroom, or it could entail preparing buffer solutions and other lab work.  It might be monotonous or mindless, but it will allow you to get some experience and that will help you move up into a more full-time research position.

Best of luck.

Thank you for your post. I had'nt thought about lab tech positions at universities. For some reason that idea escaped me.
Don't believe atoms, they make up everything!

Offline Biopolmonkey

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 09:19:36 AM »
Further to J-bone's idea, also look at schools and colleges - some with larger science departments employ technical staff. Best of luck!

Sponsored Links