April 25, 2024, 12:18:39 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: FRQ Practice- 2002 form B- Sufficient responses?  (Read 4916 times)

Offline cubejunkies

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
FRQ Practice- 2002 form B- Sufficient responses?
« on: August 24, 2010, 07:27:35 PM »
So for frq practice, my teacher had me do the 2002 form b frq, number 5 only and since he won't grade them for a while, and I really want to know how I did/the right answers/ how my responses could be better, I figured it wouldn't hurt to post my responses here.

Here's the frq itself
http://www.collegeboard.com/prod_downloads/ap/students/chemistry/b_chemistry_frq_02.pdf

a. CoCl2 because the d orbital of the compound is not filled completely so the color is going to be different...?

I have no idea really, the teacher just said to us all that this was it and we would cover it later on in the unit, but I want to try and understand it now. I remember sort of what d orbitals are, but I don't know how this would affect appearance.

b. AgCl because the other salts are soluble in water, and AgCl is the only one that isn't.

I only know this because I memorized a little song to remember solubility rules, and so I didn't know of anything else to put that might help back-up my answer.

c. NaNO3 because adding this to the solution would cause a double replacement reaction to take place that would precipitate out AgNO3 and NaCl, and AgNO3 has a distinct color.
AgCl (s) + H2O (l) + NaNO3 (aq) :rarrow: AgNO3(aq) + NaCl(aq) + H2O (l)

I feel like this is my most detailed of the responses, yet it still needs some more support in some way

d. BaCl2 because as an aqueous solution, Na2SO4 would dissociate to form a sulfate group that would easily react with the Barium component of BaCl2 in aqueous solution, therefore BaSO4 would precipitate from the solution, which would be a distinctly different color than the clear NaSO4 only solution

I really don't like saying "distinctly different color" but I don't know any other way to say that the solution would be visibly different

e. NH4Cl because in the aqueous solution of NaOH, the NH4 would act as a weak proton donor and would not react completely with the excess of solution, so the solution would maintain equilibrium as:
NH4Cl + NaOH ::equil:: NH3 + NaCl
Furthermore, the NaCl would not react with the NaOH if it were the salt anyways.

This one seems kinda like I'm on the right track, but like I'm just short in some way

Any input would be valuable! I understand its kind of a large favor to ask, but I figured I would try anyways! Also, some leniency would be appreciated because its been only 3 weeks now in school and I've forgotten a lot of the aspects of tough concepts such as equilibrium over the summer :P

Thank you all so much!
Anthony

P.S. Also, seeing as I kinda tanked this one, are there any frqs you guys can suggest to me for further practice, or any aqueous solution problems in general?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: FRQ Practice- 2002 form B- Sufficient responses?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 03:15:00 AM »
a. CoCl2 because the d orbital of the compound is not filled completely so the color is going to be different...?

Simply list what the color should be.

b. AgCl because the other salts are soluble in water, and AgCl is the only one that isn't.

OK

c. NaNO3 because adding this to the solution would cause a double replacement reaction to take place that would precipitate out AgNO3 and NaCl, and AgNO3 has a distinct color.

No. First - there will be no reaction. Second - google or check your book, what is the color of AgNO3.

d. BaCl2 because as an aqueous solution, Na2SO4 would dissociate to form a sulfate group that would easily react with the Barium component of BaCl2 in aqueous solution, therefore BaSO4 would precipitate from the solution, which would be a distinctly different color than the clear NaSO4 only solution

I really don't like saying "distinctly different color" but I don't know any other way to say that the solution would be visibly different

Production of precipitate.

e. NH4Cl because in the aqueous solution of NaOH, the NH4 would act as a weak proton donor and would not react completely with the excess of solution, so the solution would maintain equilibrium as:
NH4Cl + NaOH ::equil:: NH3 + NaCl

Good reaction. What do you know about properties of both products?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline opti384

• Mole Snacks: +33/-25
    • In the Search for the Laws of Nature
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 06:39:38 AM »
P.S. Also, seeing as I kinda tanked this one, are there any frqs you guys can suggest to me for further practice, or any aqueous solution problems in general?

I strongly recommend that you tackle all the recent frqs including the form Bs if you're gonna take the AP exam.

Offline cubejunkies

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 11:27:10 PM »

No. First - there will be no reaction. Second - google or check your book, what is the color of AgNO3.

What should I look for? Should I look for how to predict whether a precipitate will form? And I also just realized AgNO3 is clear lol

I strongly recommend that you tackle all the recent frqs including the form Bs if you're gonna take the AP exam.

I plan on tackling them all, but its only the beginning of the year, and I want to focus on completing frqs I'll be able to actually answer for now. Any suggestions on where to find aqueous solution/ gas laws frqs? :/ I kinda don't know where to find any aside from past frqs

Offline opti384

• Mole Snacks: +33/-25
    • In the Search for the Laws of Nature
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 01:20:32 AM »
I plan on tackling them all, but its only the beginning of the year, and I want to focus on completing frqs I'll be able to actually answer for now. Any suggestions on where to find aqueous solution/ gas laws frqs? :/ I kinda don't know where to find any aside from past frqs
Why don't you order some AP prep books? They also provide some good frq practices, and of course you can practice the aqueous solution/ gas laws. 

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 03:58:05 AM »

What should I look for? Should I look for how to predict whether a precipitate will form? And I also just realized AgNO3 is clear lol

You already have an insoluble salt on the left, and everything else is soluble, check solubility rules. If something doesn't dissolve, ions present in the salt are not moved into solution and can't precipitate with something else (that's not entire truth, as no salt is completely insoluble, but that's a good first approximation).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline cubejunkies

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 10:05:24 PM »

You already have an insoluble salt on the left, and everything else is soluble, check solubility rules. If something doesn't dissolve, ions present in the salt are not moved into solution and can't precipitate with something else (that's not entire truth, as no salt is completely insoluble, but that's a good first approximation).

ohhhh I see now, thank you so much!

Why don't you order some AP prep books? They also provide some good frq practices, and of course you can practice the aqueous solution/ gas laws. 

Well, I was just asking if there were any online I could get aside from the college board ones, I plan on getting a review book later though :P

Sponsored Links