June 17, 2024, 11:27:14 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: preparation of aromatic fluorides  (Read 3172 times)

Offline cara

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
preparation of aromatic fluorides
« on: August 25, 2010, 06:14:16 AM »
I am looking for a way to convert an aromatic nitro compound to the aromatic fluoride.  My substrate contains an hydroxy substituent ortho to the nitro group.  The standard balz-shiemann reaction will not suffice due to the polar substituent.  Alternative methods to the BS reaction that I have found, uses HF - which I am trying to avoid

Offline cundi

• Mole Snacks: +11/-3
Re: preparation of aromatic fluorides
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 06:23:59 AM »
I think it is not easy transformation.
You could try to protect the hydroxygroup as ester in order to decrease the electrodonor capacity of this group. (Maybe a CF3CO-OAr-NO2). Just an idea. I don't know if it will work.

Good luck.

Offline orgopete

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +213/-71
    • Curved Arrow Press
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 12:23:28 PM »
I suggest you look in Modern Fluoroorganic Chemistry, Peer Kirsch. From my notes, there are a number of synthetic procedures that you might find interesting. Perhaps the electrophilic fluorine reagents would be a good alternate. I see there is a reference for phenol to ortho-fluorophenol with an electrophilic fluorine reagent.

If you cannot get the book in your library or interlibrary loan quickly enough, you might try Google books, that was how I learned of this book.
Author of a multi-tiered example based workbook for learning organic chemistry mechanisms.

Offline lavoisier

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +17/-3
  • El sueño de la razón produce monstruos
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 01:19:20 PM »
I am looking for a way to convert an aromatic nitro compound to the aromatic fluoride.  My substrate contains an hydroxy substituent ortho to the nitro group.  The standard balz-shiemann reaction will not suffice due to the polar substituent.  Alternative methods to the BS reaction that I have found, uses HF - which I am trying to avoid
Why do you say the neighboring OH group would stop the BS reaction from working?
Is it not:
ArNH2 --> ArN2+BF4- --> ArF + BF3 + N2
I would still try it on a small scale, you never know.

If you have tried it and it hasn't worked, you can also try non-aqueous systems, e.g. doing the diazotisation with tBuONO in the presence of BF3.Et2O, you should get the fluoride directly. Maybe the boron will even bind to the oxygen and stop it from interfering with your reaction, who knows?

Otherwise, I agree with cundi, you can protect this OH, but I would avoid esters because you might get a cyclisation.

Sponsored Links