April 18, 2024, 09:54:57 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How to esterify a hydroxy group of hydroxy acid?  (Read 7117 times)

Offline lab.star

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
How to esterify a hydroxy group of hydroxy acid?
« on: May 23, 2010, 05:12:36 PM »
I find a problem in esterifying the (OH) of hydroxy aliphatic dicarboxylic acid with another acid. Is there a suitable solution for this? To avoid formation of inner lactone, is protection of the two carboxylic groups by initial esterification considered to be the only solution? ???

Offline Doc Oc

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +48/-12
Re: How to esterify a hydroxy group of hydroxy acid?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 08:38:07 PM »
I'm having some trouble understanding what you're asking.  It sounds like you have a linear dicarboxylic acid and you are trying to esterify one or both of the acids, but avoid the intramolecular lactonization, is that correct?  If so you have a very challenging transformation, particularly if you can form a 5 or 6 membered ring lactone.

Offline lab.star

• Very New Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 11:50:30 AM »
I'm having some trouble understanding what you're asking.  It sounds like you have a linear dicarboxylic acid and you are trying to esterify one or both of the acids, but avoid the intramolecular lactonization, is that correct?  If so you have a very challenging transformation, particularly if you can form a 5 or 6 membered ring lactone.
What I want to do is to esterify a hydroxy group in a compound (this compound contains two carboxylic groups beside its hydroxy group, as it is a hydroxy acid).

Offline g-bones

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-7
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 12:53:37 PM »
it sounds like you want to add some kind of acyl group onto the alcohol to transform it into an ester.  if so, it seems like treatment with acetyl chloride should do the trick.  the alcohol should be more nucleophilic than the acids, and even if you place an acyl group onto the acids to make the mixed anhydride, it would probably be so labile it would fall apart upon aqueous workup to release your acid again. 

Offline animanga008

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 02:14:51 AM »
I don't get what you are asking...You want to add an acid to a carboxylic acid? What?

If you want to change a carboxylic acid to an ester, could you try using EDC with HOBT and the thing you want to add? Or DCC wile activating the other thing with NBS?

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 10:48:24 AM »
What I want to do is to esterify a hydroxy group in a compound (this compound contains two carboxylic groups beside its hydroxy group, as it is a hydroxy acid).

You could try a para-methoxybenzyl group, react p-methoxybenzyl alcohol with trichloroacetonitrile with catalytic NaH. Isolate the trichloroimidate then react it with the hydroxy acid using pPTSA or PyOTsA as a catalyst. Look in the literature for the etherifiaction of Roche ester etc. If the acidic groups esterify remove them by very mild hydrogenation, the ether should stay put.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline MissPhosgene

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +23/-5
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 10:25:42 AM »
Just did a similar transformation. Acetyl chloride or the corresponding imid. work superbly.
Stereograms of the 32 crystallographic point groups: little bike wheels of cold, hard, pure rationality.

Sponsored Links