April 24, 2024, 05:57:07 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Naming Organic Compounds  (Read 6234 times)

sweetdaisy186

Naming Organic Compounds
« on: August 17, 2005, 11:14:58 PM »
Hey guys!
We just started naming organic compounds, and I am starting to get all these forms comfused.

Like, CH3CH(CH2CH3)2 for example. It has to be a -ane right because there are only single bonds. So is the (CH2CH3)2 the isopropyl? And CH3CH is methane right? So would it be methyl isopropal?

Then there is (CH3)2CHC (triple bond)CCH2CH(CH3)2. This would be an alkyne right? However, I don't understand how to name it.

The last one is CH3CH2CH=C(CH3)2. Double bonds mean it is an Alkene right? So, then would the methyl group stick off the first C? And another methyl group 3rd C right? meaning that it is triene of some kind? I'm so confused with all these rules. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Offline Winga

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-10
Re:Naming Organic Compounds
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 03:45:21 AM »
Hey guys!
We just started naming organic compounds, and I am starting to get all these forms comfused.

Like, CH3CH(CH2CH3)2 for example. It has to be a -ane right because there are only single bonds. So is the (CH2CH3)2 the isopropyl? And CH3CH is methane right? So would it be methyl isopropal?
isopropyl = 1-methylethyl ---> (CH3)2CH-

methane = CH4

Offline Winga

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-10
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 04:21:17 AM »
1st, find the longest carbon chain containing triple bond (in this case).

7 carbons ---> hept- (prefix)
triple bond ---> -yne (suffix)
heptyne

2nd, assign a number to each of these carbons orderly.
There are 2 routes for assigning the numbers, one in black and one in red.
The red one should be rejected because the position of triple is at carbon no. 4 while the black one is at no. 3, choose the smaller no. of carbon which is triple bonded (in this case).

triple bond at C no. 3,
hept-3-yne

3rd, find out the postion of substituents (methyl group = CH3-).

There are 2 methyl groups, one is at no. 2 and other one is at no. 6.
These give 2,6-dimethyl for neming the substituents.

Finally, group the names together (substituents are put at the front alphabetically).

2,6-dimethylhept-3-yne

About the alkene one, try to do it yourself.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 05:12:20 AM »
Winga deserves a Scooby Snack  ;)
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links