March 29, 2024, 07:23:26 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Melting and combining gold, copper & silver.  (Read 3258 times)

Offline Jesper

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Melting and combining gold, copper & silver.
« on: August 28, 2010, 03:09:44 AM »
Hi  ;)

I'm considering melting and mixing/combining gold, copper & silver to make a well-mixed alloy of these metals. The alloy is be app. 75% gold, 18% copper & 7% silver.

However, before doing so I would appreciate guidance as to if there's something I should pay attention to during this process. The goal is to obtain a thin - very pure (no oxidations or the like) - well mixed - metal foil alloy of these metals (~2-5 mm thick) which subsequently is to be rolled to thinner foils (~30*10-6 meter thickness).

My question is if I, to obtain this non-oxidated metal foil alloy (the 2~5 mm thick foil), have to make the process happen in a non-oxidative environment? Or can I "just" heat the metals in a suitable "bowl" and then let them mix by themselves (I realize temperatures are high)? Or if oxidations will happen can I then remove them afterwards in an environmentally friendly way?

Maybe there are other issues to observe as well while making this process ...?

Any assistance on how this can be done is appreciated  :)

Greetings,

Jesper

Offline BluRay

• Mole Snacks: +9/-2
Re: Melting and combining gold, copper & silver.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 08:27:20 AM »
Actually I'm not sure, but you will probably have some oxidation. To remove the oxides you can use a dilute solution of KCN; which concentration, you will have to make some tries.

Offline Jesper

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Melting and combining gold, copper & silver.
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 02:03:40 PM »
Hi BluRay,

& thanks for replying. Hmmm.... the issue really is to not have any oxidation within the alloy because that would alter the electrical characteristics of the alloy. And I guess that that cannot be removed with KCN, isn't that correct?

I think I will also post my question in the engineering section - I only recently noticed that this part of the chemical forums is for students, and I no longer am so  ;)

Best regards,

Jesper

Sponsored Links