April 18, 2024, 06:22:28 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Why Nitrogen has strongest bond?  (Read 8114 times)

Offline dijinj

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Why Nitrogen has strongest bond?
« on: September 02, 2010, 10:01:43 AM »
It came to me as a surprise that nitrogen has strongest bond. I learned that single bonds are strongest covalent bond. So why nitrogen having triple bonds has the strongest bond in diatomic molecules :)

Offline opti384

• Mole Snacks: +33/-25
    • In the Search for the Laws of Nature
Re: Why Nitrogen has strongest bond?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 10:16:09 AM »
It's quite the opposite. Triple bonds are actually stronger than single bonds.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 02:19:20 PM »
Every bond in triple bond is weaker than a single bond, but there are three of them, and it is total strength that counts.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-9
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 03:38:24 PM »
Every bond in triple bond is weaker than a single bond, but there are three of them, and it is total strength that counts.

Well, two bonds ($$ \pi /$$) are weaker but I think that the third ($$ \sigma /$$) has more or less the same energy of a single bond, am I wrong?
The way of the superior man may be compared to what takes place in traveling, when to go to a distance we must first traverse the space that is near, and in ascending a height, when we must begin from the lower ground. (Confucius)

Offline Jorriss

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +41/-14
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 05:11:17 PM »

Well, two bonds () are weaker but I think that the third () has more or less the same energy of a single bond, am I wrong?
Basically. For the purposes of this question, any C-x single bond has equal strength.

so, C-C, N-N, O-O are all 'relatively' equal.

But now, N2 has two more pi bonds on top of that single bond, while oxygen only has one pi bond enforcing it.

Offline dijinj

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 01:38:48 AM »
you mean the individual bonds in a triple bond is weaker than single bonds, or only total strength of all 3 bonds in a triple bond is higher, right? so the reaction N2 + 3 H2 > 2 NH3 is exothermic, right?
is oxidation of N2 is exothermic reaction with high threshold energy? I learned that Air ignites at very high temperature.
Can you suggest a good book that deals with calculations of energies of reaction( how to find out energy released or absorbed in reaction)

Sponsored Links