April 18, 2024, 01:57:10 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Short Essay  (Read 6608 times)

Offline AngelShare

• Mole Snacks: +9/-8
  • The Eternal Flame
Short Essay
« on: August 18, 2005, 01:50:40 AM »
I did this with my tutor but I still need to look up some things I still haven't been able to find. I'll post the problem in case anyone disagrees with what we came up with.

Design an experiment to separate the components of salad dressing (a mixture of oil, vinegar, water, sugar, and herbs). List each step with the appropriate materials neccessary.

The first step would be to filter out the herbs somehow, right? Then, you could use Distillation to remove the water, vinegar, and oil from one another. If that's right, the boiling point of water is 100 degrees Celsius, vinegar's is 118 degrees Celsius but what is oil's? After you get everything separated you boil the water until all that is left is the sugar, right?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2005, 01:53:07 AM by AngelShare »
Trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth.[/size] ~Alan Watts

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:Short Essay
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 01:53:39 AM »
Water and oil don't mix. So you can just seperate them by pipeting.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline AngelShare

• The Eternal Flame
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 01:58:23 AM »
I knew they didn't mix but I didn't know how to separate them as what you mentioned isn't in my book...I don't know what it is. Is there any other way to separate it? Would my way work?
Trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth.[/size] ~Alan Watts

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 02:03:40 AM »
I guess it could work, but then the question becomes whether you just want the minimum answer to pass the essay or do you want to learn the real way Chemists would seperate oil and water. Which is done by using a seperatory funnel that will pour out the bottom layer and leaving the top layer. Picture is attached below.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline AngelShare

• The Eternal Flame
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 02:12:17 AM »
Ah, thanks for the picture. The guy tutoring me actually said about that but I wasn't completely sure of what the object he was speaking of looked like. He was going to explain that to me but I'm no good when it comes to Chemistry and since it's a summer course I'm taking to make up for failing it in school, I'm running out of time so taking an hour to explain something to me is a bad idea. :D

Sponsored Links