April 27, 2024, 12:48:41 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: hybridization in resonance  (Read 6415 times)

briteyellowness

hybridization in resonance
« on: August 18, 2005, 10:02:33 AM »
so if i have something like acetamide, and there can be resonance of the O and N, when i name the hybridization of the nitrogen, since it can be either sp3 or sp2 or somewhere in between rather, do i name its hybridization as sp2, because is there a rule that says to name it as its lowest hybridization?

and also, if there's resonance, how do i calculate the Formal Charge of that atom?  so for nitrogen if one formal charge is 0 and another is 1, is the overall FC 1/2 cuz i add up all the formal charges and divide by the number of resonance structures?

p.s.
i've downloaded chemdraw but i don't see any icon to open it or anything and it'd be better if i drew out my quetsion with 6-azathymine, cuz after reading the explanations i understand how the nitrogen in the ring is sp2, but without reading it, i didn't know that i was just supposed to *see* that the lone pair electrons are just located in the pi orbital for aromaticity and the rest is sp2 hybridized. (which has nothing to do with resonance but another quesiton)

petsensor

Re:hybridization in resonance
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 11:41:01 PM »
That is really hard to say. Seems to me, you always need define the structure first and then decide the hybridization state. The same is for FC calculations. For each structure you will have one value. But not sure you can average those values since usually those two structures are not equal. One should be of majority which can be found out by FC of  the whole molecule and some other methods such as NMR.

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
Re:hybridization in resonance
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 01:19:30 PM »
You'd have to determine the hybridization and formal charge based on each individual resonance structure.  To solve hybridizations beyond that you have to do computer calculations.

Sponsored Links