June 17, 2024, 02:33:54 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Different answers I get in regards to significant figures?  (Read 3191 times)

Offline DannyBoi

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Different answers I get in regards to significant figures?
« on: September 20, 2010, 02:59:42 PM »
Hi,

I've been trying to get a straight answer but the internet and my online chem exercises seem to go about solving problems a different way. Online I have found people say to not round your answers to the sig fig until your last step (the solution). In other words, it's fine to keep extra figures in intermediate steps. But then the online part of my textbook has a problem where on the first step they round the answer they get:

q = (4.184 J/g*K)(1000.g)(80. K) = 330,000 J

My calculator tells me 334,720 J, so why would they round at such an early step? Wouldn't that introduce rounding errors? Any clarification on this is appreciated. :)

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-9
Re: Different answers I get in regards to significant figures?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 03:37:21 PM »
From my personal experience I know that all the figures should be taken into consideration in intermediate steps (it's a good habit to save them on your calculator and not to copy them on a sheet, as you'll lose a significant amount of precision). In addition to that the book also shows the result with the wrong number of sig figs (the right number, with the values written like that is 4, not 6)...

More info here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Significant_figures
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Significance_arithmetic
The way of the superior man may be compared to what takes place in traveling, when to go to a distance we must first traverse the space that is near, and in ascending a height, when we must begin from the lower ground. (Confucius)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1804/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 04:10:08 PM »
I think you may be mistaking two things here. When you do the calculations, you don't round down intermediate results, but if you report them (for any reason), you should report them correctly.

Don't pay too much attention to sig figs, they are rarely used in the real world.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline DannyBoi

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 04:47:42 PM »
Ok so I'm not allowed to report the intermediate steps with more sig figs than are allowed. In other words I have to keep track of the actual longer answers seperately.

Offline DannyBoi

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 05:57:13 PM »
What I mean to ask is: Will I lose marks on an exam if my intermediate steps carry with them 1-3 more sig figs than given in the problem? Or will I be ok as long as my final solution keeps the correct number of sig figs?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1804/-411
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 02:50:24 AM »
Are you reporting them (as in a multistep calculation, where results from earlier steps are necessary in later ones), or just writing down for your convenience?

Note that a lot may depend on the grading person, some treat sig figs deadly serious. You better ask before the exam, so that you know what you are expected to do.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links