April 26, 2024, 10:37:36 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Boron Nitride  (Read 7392 times)

Offline dallasSG

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Boron Nitride
« on: September 27, 2010, 01:42:40 PM »
I have read in a textbook that carbon in the hexagonal layer structure form is able to conduct electricity parallel to the layers due to the overlaping of 2p orbitals of carbon atoms which will form a 2dimensional delocalised pi orbital. And it is said that these delocalised pi orbitals are the main reason for its electrical conductivity.

Is this true as i read this from some reference book that is not in my syllabus?

My question is that for boron nitride, since there would be no overlaping of 2p orbitals between boron and nitrogen. Will it conduct electricity?

My thought process is that they are bonded to one another using sp2 orbitals. Boron now do not have any electrons in the 2p orbital for formation of 2dimensional delocalised pi orbital with Nitrogen? Thus BN would not conduct electricity?

Pardon my poor grasp of english.

Offline ooosh

• Mole Snacks: +3/-3
Re: Boron Nitride
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 02:22:02 AM »
Boron nitride has been produced in an amorphous (a-BN) and several crystalline forms. The most stable crystalline form is the hexagonal one, also called h-BN, α-BN, or g-BN (graphitic BN). It has a layered structure similar to graphite. Within each layer, boron and nitrogen atoms are bound by strong covalent bonds, whereas the layers are held together by weak van der Waals forces. The interlayer "registry" of these sheets differs, however, from the pattern seen for graphite, because the atoms are eclipsed, with boron atoms lying over and above nitrogen atoms. This registry reflects the polarity of the B-N bonds.
The partly ionic structure of BN layers in h-BN reduces covalency and electrical conductivity, whereas the interlayer interaction increases resulting in higher hardness of h-BN relative to graphite. The reduced electron-delocalization in hexagonal-BN is also indicated by its absence of color and a large band gap. Very different bonding - strong covalent within the basal planes (planes where boron and nitrogen atoms are covalently bonded) and weak between them - causes high anisotropy of most properties of h-BN.

Offline ooosh

• Mole Snacks: +3/-3
Re: Boron Nitride
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 02:24:51 AM »
If you want to learn more about BN,you can read this:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boron_nitride

Sponsored Links