March 29, 2024, 09:52:29 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Don't know where to start, can you point me in the right direction?  (Read 4222 times)

Offline ntr134

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
The problem is, Vinegar is a 3.5% acetic acid solution, CH3COOH (aq), by weight, What is the molarity of vinegar? You may assume that the density of vinegar is 1.00g/mL.

I know that to find the molarity i need to use the formula M= moles of solute/liters of solution.  and I have calculated out the molar mass of the acetic acid which is 60.01. Also I have converted the density in to grams/L which is .001

But after that I'm not sure where to go from there, also am i on the right track?

Offline MrTeo

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-9
Re: Don't know where to start, can you point me in the right direction?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 02:49:47 AM »
Also I have converted the density in to grams/L which is .001

This is wrong: try to think about it: if 1mL of solution weighs 1g, 1000mL weigh...
Anyway so far you're doing well... Considering that the density of vinegar is the same of water we know that the solution has the same density too. Given this information, if there are 3.5 grams of vinegar in 100g of solution (that's what 3.5% (m/m) means) what's the amount of vinegar in a liter of solution?
The way of the superior man may be compared to what takes place in traveling, when to go to a distance we must first traverse the space that is near, and in ascending a height, when we must begin from the lower ground. (Confucius)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Don't know where to start, can you point me in the right direction?
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 03:55:55 AM »
It will be even easier if you will assume you have just 1L of solution - what's its mass? What is mass of acetic acid? How many moles of acetic acid?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links