March 29, 2024, 02:52:17 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Peroxide vs Clorox  (Read 8817 times)

Offline arcc

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Peroxide vs Clorox
« on: August 04, 2010, 12:33:28 PM »
 I work at a retreat center, and the staff uses Clorox frequently to clean the restrooms and common areas.  I was shown an email saying that peroxide would work better since it doesn't create the fumes but was designed to be used as a cleaner for the hospitals during WWI.
I read some of the other postings discussing peroxide use for cleaning materials in the lab.  Since you are most conversant with the chemical makeup and reactions, would you please advise me on the question of peroxide vs clorox (bleach) for regular/heavy duty cleaning on an ongoing basis?
Thanks for helping on this general, non-formulaic question!

Offline eb2phkingood

• Mole Snacks: +1/-1
Re: Peroxide vs Clorox
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 12:20:39 AM »
I work at a retreat center, and the staff uses Clorox frequently to clean the restrooms and common areas.  I was shown an email saying that peroxide would work better since it doesn't create the fumes but was designed to be used as a cleaner for the hospitals during WWI.
I read some of the other postings discussing peroxide use for cleaning materials in the lab.  Since you are most conversant with the chemical makeup and reactions, would you please advise me on the question of peroxide vs clorox (bleach) for regular/heavy duty cleaning on an ongoing basis?
Thanks for helping on this general, non-formulaic question!

i can 1000% assure you that for MOST bacteria that peroxide is better. we did a petri dish peroxide, clorox,  and a standard DI water. the peroxide killed 99%+ of staph and 3 other bacteria, the clorox was approx 95%,and water was well, im sure you can guess how well water did. hope this helps

Sponsored Links