April 29, 2024, 04:49:41 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Polarity of compounds in dichloromethane  (Read 5049 times)

Offline lemon

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Polarity of compounds in dichloromethane
« on: September 28, 2010, 09:24:14 AM »
Hi

I'm not a chemist so please forgive me if my question is naive.

I have a dichloromethan extract of natural compounds. I'm wondering what kind of compounds it can contain.
From what I've learnt, dichloromethan is considered as a polar aprotic solvent and as so solvates positively charged molecules (which, as I understand, are cationic compounds) through its negative dipole.
On the other hand, due to its low polarity, dichloromethane is often considered as a non-polar solvent which means I should expect non-polar compounds in the extract.

Could someone help tell me what kind of molecules should I expect in the extract: non-polar or both, polar and charged?
If the extract conatained both, non-polar and positiveley charged, what would happen if I changed the solvent into methanol. I guess non-polar compounds will aggregate due to high methanol polarity, but how about cationic molecules?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Offline kunjal8015

• Mole Snacks: +2/-6
Re: Polarity of compounds in dichloromethane
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 07:17:10 PM »
dichloromethan (aka methlyene chloride) is used to strip out verious things for example it is used to extract  out caffine, it is used for biphasic extraction if you give what you are working with detail info i might be able to help.

Sponsored Links