March 28, 2024, 06:47:23 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Halogens  (Read 3107 times)

Offline big

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Halogens
« on: September 30, 2010, 08:18:51 AM »
Which statement about the halogen family is true?
A)   Each of the halogens can be obtained by the electrolysis of its respective molten halide salt.
B)   Iodine is the strongest oxidizing agent.
C)   Bromine is obtained by oxidation using chloride ions as the oxidizing agent.
D)   Halide ions are generally more reactive than the parent halogens

Correct answer is A. Answer B is wrong because Cl is definitely a stronger oxidizing agent then iodine, and C is wrong because it is chlorine and not chloride ions that oxidizes bromine, am I correct? I feel like I am thinking about this too much in the wrong way or I’m just confusing myself, but it seems to me that halide ions are more likely to react to form salts than the parent halogens. Since that’s not the answer though, how are the parent halogens more reactive than halide ions?

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Halogens
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 08:37:30 AM »
You have lost me - what is and what is not the correct answer and according to what?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Evaldas

• Mole Snacks: +1/-3
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 01:12:42 PM »
Fluorine is the strongest oxidator of all the halogens, I is the strongest reducer.

Offline big

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 03:23:47 PM »
You have lost me - what is and what is not the correct answer and according to what?

Sorry, basically, A is the correct answer according to the answer key, but I was just asking why D is incorrect, since I think I already understand why B and C are incorrect. I don't see why D can't be correct since it's the halide ions are always in compounds and salts, so why would the parent halogens be more reactive than halide ions then? Don't you have to break the bonds in the parent halogen first, before they react?

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 03:48:29 PM »
OK.

Just because halide ions are already in compounds doesn't mean they are reactive - they just sit there. Cl- in NaCl is not reactive - mix NaCl with whatever you want and in most cases nothing will happen. But if mix Cl2 with something in most cases something will happen.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links