April 26, 2024, 03:56:47 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Need advice  (Read 4916 times)

Corvettaholic

Need advice
« on: August 19, 2005, 06:03:47 PM »
So here's the short version: I cosigned on my ex's car back when we were still together, and now I want the damn thing off my credit. Problem is that I'm actually the primary buyer due to better credit and she is the cosigner. What are my options? She's making the payments but I don't trust her to keep making payments. Tried to get her to refi, but she's very uncooperative and I think she wants me dead. Any ideas would be welcome, cause I don't know what to do!

GCT

Re:Need advice
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 05:42:56 PM »
try to talk to her lawyer, devise a professional/signed written explicit statement claiming no further responsibilities on your part.

Offline david

• Chem Crony
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +10/-2
  • Chemophobic
    • qersys
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 05:51:58 PM »
I have a friend who had the same problem. But his car was leased... Basically he had to steal the car from her and hide it until the lease was finished. It wasn't really stealing since he was on the lease agreement. Since the car is owned by both people I would say you are stuck unless the bank will change the contract or you pay off the loan. Best advice: get a lawyer... It will probably end up being money well spent.

Corvettaholic

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 12:30:44 PM »
I got a buddy who has a lawyer buddy, so I'm going to see if I can get some free advice this week.

Offline Dude

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +42/-9
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 08:27:15 AM »
A lawyer is the best option.  I've seen that unfold several times to people around me.  The chick winds up not paying the bill (since her credit sucks already) and the guy winds either paying the bill or becomes the recipient of bad credit.  One person I know went through bankruptcy partially due to a car(although in reality his debt was around $200,000 and the woman's car only accounted for about $30,000 of it).  The laws in the US are about to change for bankruptcy so if you live in the US, look into this soon.  When you co-sign, you agree to pay if the other person defaults.  If your lucky, talking to a lawyer might scare your ex into making sure that a non-payment is due to actual financial hardship and not revenge.

Sponsored Links