April 28, 2024, 07:01:32 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Opinion Needed on 2nd Semester of 1st year (Freshman) Chemistry  (Read 2592 times)

Offline naijagal

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Opinion Needed on 2nd Semester of 1st year (Freshman) Chemistry
« on: October 03, 2010, 09:59:46 PM »
I took the first semester of Inorganic chem (Freshman) in 2006 and got a B. however due to lack of focus, concentration and hard work including other personal mishaps in my life, I was unable to finish my Pre-Pharmacy prerequisites and ended up getting my bachelor's in political science.
However, after much research, evaluation and consideration, I have decided on pharmacy as my career for which I have to satisfy the prerequisites. I have my physics courses satisfied already all I have left are the biology and chem courses + i calculus class.

My question is this: is it possible to handle/manage the second semester of inorganic chemistry (freshman chem II) after taking the first semester (freshman inorganic chem I) a while back- almost four years ago. I got a B in in inorganic chem I in 2006 but I don't want to retake it but I am worried that I may have to in order to cope with inorganic chem II; are they correlated and interdependent

Offline V

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Re: Opinion Needed on 2nd Semester of 1st year (Freshman) Chemistry
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 02:48:23 PM »
I am going back to school also. This is my first semester back. I did very well in General and Organic Chem about 6-7 years ago. In fact I was paid to tutor it at my Uni.

I am retaking them. I never used this information in the interim and I've forgotten ALOT. Whats worse is I remember bits and pieces which tends to only confuse me more than when I knew nothing!

My advice, retake it. It's one class. It's stuff you need to have down pat. Maybe it has stayed in your head better than it did in mine, over years of not using it but unless you feel you could pass the exams for such a class tomorrow, then retake it. Just my $0.02.

Offline Jorriss

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +41/-14
Re: Opinion Needed on 2nd Semester of 1st year (Freshman) Chemistry
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 11:01:13 PM »
A lot of gen chem I and II are independent, but all of gen chem I is later used in organic chemistry, which I assume you're taking for pharmacological schooling, - hybridization, MO theories.

Retake it or study a lot before gen chem II, but either way make sure you know your first semester general chemistry before you start further courses.

Sponsored Links