April 16, 2024, 06:48:52 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Are undergrads able to work for a theoretical chemistry/physics prof summer?  (Read 6049 times)

Offline SheffieldWednesday4ever

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I'm quite interested in the quantum chem course I'm taking. I'm just wondering if an undergrad can do research with a prof in it. And if so, what would it be like.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
I had a friend who did it. She described it as intense and frustrating. Most of her difficulty dealt with having to learn Linux.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline tamim83

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-7
  • Quantum Kitten
Hi,
I do theoretical chemistry and have worked with undergraduates in both of my research groups.  It is possible and is really dependent on the project.  You can do a project where you won't need any programing experience.  For example, if you use a software package like Gaussian or Q-chem, you can use some graphical interface to generate input, submit calculations, and analyze the results.  Again, it is not that hard to pick up.  Also, if you are working with a very helpful professor or grad. student, you will pick things up in no time.  

Offline TheUnfocusedOne

• Mole Snacks: +6/-5
What kind of quantum do you want?  I personally think using software that do quantum based off of models is boring, tedious and frustrating.  I've also heard that there isn't too big of a market for people with just computer modeling skills, unless you're going to graduate school for theoretical. I personally think that the two best skills to develope before graduating are your instrumentation and synthetic skills; they'll open doors for you.  There a plenty of experiments going on, check out J. Chem Phys or J. Phys Chem for some examples of current quantum stuff.

With that said, I'm sure there are plenty of places you could do an internship for a professor doing quantum chemistry work.  I personally think hands on experimentation followed by good old fashion chalkboard math is better than straight computer based modeling and computation.  Google "internship in physical/quantum chemistry" and I'm sure you'll find something. Syracuse had a really good database for undergraduate internships.

Also, talk to the professors at your school, see if they have anything brewing that you could try.
"Like most heavy metals, thallium is highly toxic and should not be used on breakfast cereal"

Sponsored Links