April 28, 2024, 08:39:10 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: find partial pressure from total without mole?  (Read 9398 times)

Offline medic2PA

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
find partial pressure from total without mole?
« on: October 06, 2010, 10:53:09 AM »
"A mixture of CS2(g) and excess O2 (g) is contained in a 10.0 L reaction vessel at 100.0 deg C; the total pressure of the mixture is 3.00atm . A spark causes the CS2 to ignite and it burns completely according to the following equation:

CS2(g) + 3O2(g) yields CO2 (g) + 2SO2(g)

The vessel and contents are returned to 100 deg C and the mixture of the product gases (CO2, SO2, and unreacted O2) has a total pressure of 2.4 atm. Determine the partial pressure of each of these gases in the final product mixture. "

how do i find partial pressure from total pressure when there is not a number of moles given in the problem? My initial thought was to do a RICE table, but I can't find the initial pressure for CS2 or O2, and in this case I'm also given the total pressure for the end part of the reaction (which I would use to find x), so I'm not sure sure a RICE table is even necessary now? How would I set this problem up?

Offline ooosh

• Mole Snacks: +3/-3
Re: find partial pressure from total without mole?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 11:23:03 AM »
There's a pressure change ,so ICE table is necessary.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: find partial pressure from total without mole?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 12:53:18 PM »
No need for ICE table.

All other things (V, T) are kept constant, so amounts of substances present is directly proportional to their partial pressures.

Obviously total number of moles decreased - this will let you calculate how much CS2 and O2 reacted. Take a look at the reaction equation and compare amount of gases before and after the reaction.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links