March 28, 2024, 03:10:36 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Unconventional Friedel-Crafts acylation and alkylation mechanisms  (Read 5873 times)

Offline horsebox

• Mole Snacks: +3/-1
In my lab we did a Friedel-Crafts acylation on toluene using phthalic anhydride and AlCl3 as the lewis acid. Everything I've read on Friedel-crafts acylations so far involve acyl chlorides, I've never even heard of acid anhydrides being used, this is a fairly cool reaction. As for the mechanism I'm guessing the AlCl3 snatches 2 electrons from one of the anhydride bonds which breaks it and yields the carbocation. Are there any other alternative mechanisms for FC acylations?

We also did a Friedel-Crafts alkylation using an unconventional mechanism. Instead of using an alkyl halide with AlCl3, we used an alcohol with H2SO4. The H2SO4 protonates the -OH group and the H2O molecule leaves, yielding the carbocation. Are there any other unconventional routes for FC alkylations?

Offline discodermolide

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +405/-70
    • My research history
Re: Unconventional Friedel-Crafts acylation and alkylation mechanisms
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 05:42:10 AM »
In my lab we did a Friedel-Crafts acylation on toluene using phthalic anhydride and AlCl3 as the lewis acid. Everything I've read on Friedel-crafts acylations so far involve acyl chlorides, I've never even heard of acid anhydrides being used, this is a fairly cool reaction. As for the mechanism I'm guessing the AlCl3 snatches 2 electrons from one of the anhydride bonds which breaks it and yields the carbocation. Are there any other alternative mechanisms for FC acylations?

We also did a Friedel-Crafts alkylation using an unconventional mechanism. Instead of using an alkyl halide with AlCl3, we used an alcohol with H2SO4. The H2SO4 protonates the -OH group and the H2O molecule leaves, yielding the carbocation. Are there any other unconventional routes for FC alkylations?

As a hint carbocations next to carbonyl groups are unlikely.
Usually in a FC reaction the Lewis acid coordinates to the aromatic ring to give an ate complex which then reacts with a nucleophile.
Development Chemists do it on Scale, Research Chemists just do it!
My Research History

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
Re: Unconventional Friedel-Crafts acylation and alkylation mechanisms
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 10:08:24 AM »
You can get to acylium intermediates from carboxylic acids as well by using either a strong acid or some other powerful activator (that essentially makes an acid chloride equivalent in situ).  I believe the former strategy is common in industry because handling the acid chlorides can be hazardous.

Sponsored Links