April 26, 2024, 01:50:49 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: CHEMISTRY HELP PLEASE  (Read 5377 times)

smoran

CHEMISTRY HELP PLEASE
« on: August 25, 2005, 11:16:52 AM »
this is a problem i have been trying to do for a long time, but just dont understand, its not for extra credit or a grade or anything, i am just curious and it is really bothering me...

From the information below, identify chemical X

A) The wavelength of the radiowaves sent by an FM station broadcasting at 97.1MHZ is 3.00 * 10^7 times greater than the wavelength corresbonding to the energy difference between a particular excited state of the hydrogen atom and the ground state.

B) Let V represent the principle quantum number for the valence shell of element X. If an electron in the hydrogen atom falls from shell V to the inner shell corrosponding to the excited state mentioned above in part A, the wavelength of light emmited is the same as the wavelength of an electron moving at a speed of 570 m/s.

C) This element has 1 unpaired electon.

D) Let 'A' equal the charge of the stable ion that would form when the undiscovered element 120 forms ionic compounds. The value of 'A' also represents the angular momentum quantum number for the subshell containing the unpaired electron(s) for element X.

Please try to show you work if it is possible so i know how to work it from beganning to end, thanks a lot :)

Offline gregpawin

• Cradle Bandit
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-5
  • Ebichu chu chu chuses you!
Re:CHEMISTRY HELP PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 11:59:44 AM »
Perhaps you should tell us how far you've gotten with these problems...

and please don't post your questions twice... and make up a better title than chemistry help please in capitals
« Last Edit: August 25, 2005, 12:00:34 PM by gregpawin »
I've got nothin'

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:CHEMISTRY HELP PLEASE
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 03:43:53 PM »
C) This element has 1 unpaired electon.

forum policy requires you to show that u've attempted. we are ethically against that we might be doing your homework, instead of teaching you.

this element has 1 unpaired electron. it could be Group I, III or VII, or a transition element.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links