March 29, 2024, 01:49:32 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: some qualitative test to determine barium ion  (Read 10709 times)

rchok2

some qualitative test to determine barium ion
« on: August 24, 2005, 08:53:40 AM »
i just need to know one thing...
to determine the presence of barium ion, 1cm3 of ethanol, 2drops of 6M H2SO4 was added... i just need to know what is the function of ethanol here@_@? thanks guys

Offline Dude

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +42/-9
  • I'm a mole!
Re:some qualitative test to determine barium ion
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2005, 06:21:49 PM »
The only function that I could possibly see for ethanol would be to control the size of the precipitate for easier visibility.

rchok2

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 07:45:50 PM »
thanks dude... but how is that possible? i mean what does ethanol actually do to control the size of the precipitate? why does the size of the precipitate needs to be controlled? so much for the question lol thanks

Offline Dude

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +42/-9
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 12:14:42 PM »
Can't answer your questions with accuracy.  However, there are commercially available instruments that measure chloride content by turbidity (light scattering by formation of insoluble silver chloride from silver nitrate- an analogous situation).  The recipe they use usually contains stuff like glycerol and other things to control the viscosity and surface tension of the solution.  If it weren't controlled precisely, the solid might lump out and not scatter the light in the same way (and thus lose quantitative capability).

Offline FeLiXe

• Theoretical Biochemist
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +34/-7
  • Excited?
    • Chemical Quantum Images
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 02:08:00 AM »
you add ethanol to decrease solubility. As ethanol is less polar than water is has a lower capability to stabilize ions in solution.

In fact barium-sulfate will be a fine white precipitate right away no matter what you do. The ethanol is added only if in the same step you also want to get calcium and strontium out of the solution. Even with ethanol calcium takes a long time and it's more a jelly than a precipitate.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2005, 02:09:01 AM by FeLiXe »
Math and alcohol don't mix, so... please, don't drink and derive!

Sponsored Links