April 27, 2024, 04:48:39 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: fibrous polymeric cobalt complex  (Read 4121 times)

shelanachium

fibrous polymeric cobalt complex
« on: August 25, 2005, 04:06:29 PM »
Here's a suggestion for making a strong fibrous polymer held together by cobalt atoms (the rest of it's organic).I live in rented accomodation so can't try anything out, so I suggest things for those unlike me in a position to try. The following should be quite safe, unlike my nitrocyanogen suggestion!

I have a Chem3D program and dream up structures on it. I drew a beautiful linear polymer based on cobalt(III) and 2,5 dimethylpyrazoline. The latter can be readily obtained from acetylacetone (pentan-1,3 dione) and hydrazine. If an alkaline solution is reacted with a solution of (say) cobalt (II) nitrate and then air-oxidised, the polymer should form. If the reaction works the solution may become very viscous and threads should then be drawn easily from it. If an aqueous solution is used the polymer, being neutral, will probably precipitate out as it forms, and to get threads you may have first to filter it out and dissolve it in an organic solvent.

In the structure three dimethylpyrazoline units, each of which has lost a proton to give [(CH3)2C3HN2]- ions, bridge pairs of Co (III) ions via their two adjacent N atoms. Every dimethylpyrazolinide ion is attached to 2 Co, each Co to 6 pyrazolinides. The complex is neutral, the formula {Co[(CH3)2C3HN2]3}n.

I can send a picture of my molecular model to anyone interested. If anyone tries the reaction, I would like to know what happened and whether you got fibres.

shelanachium

Re:fibrous polymeric cobalt complex
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 04:13:39 PM »
Woops! I mean 2,4 dimethylpyrazoline and acetylacetone is pentan 2,4 dione. Sorry!

Sponsored Links